General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil covered sparkplug

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Post Oil covered sparkplug

Hi all,

I have 2014 Honda accord I4 with 100,000 miles on the dial. I have been doing small maintenance on the car and have changed filters and replaced antifreeze. Today i was replacing spark plugs and discovered something disturbing. one out of the 4 spark plug was covered in oil with Coil as well. I know there is major problem, i just dont know what it is? I first thought it might have been a machnic's negligent and could have spilled oil but that is impossible to do since its cover. I been watching videos on you tube for old accords and changing gaskets etc...but I need second opinion. I am not comfortable opening up the cover without more information....I need major help any videos instructions, paper instruction, possible solutions would greatly appreciate it. I commute about 200 miles a day and i will not be driving the car knowing there is an issue. please help in anyway you can i will be grateful.
I need to know following.

1. how to change the parts ( what should i be asking at the dealership)
2. tool required ( i think i know this one)
3. will it be hard?

So far this is the best video i have found but wrong year

Old 11-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to General Tech for better responses.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

The best reference you can buy is the Honda shop manual for your car. The site (automanualsource.com) only has up to 2010. There may be a page in the back of your owner's manual on how to order one.

You need a valve cover gasket set. You can get a set of fel-pro gaskets from the auto parts stores. The fit is excellent and I've had no problems with their valve cover gaskets.

The procedure will not be much different compared to the video you posted. Disconnect all hoses, brackets, etc.. attached to the valve cover. Then unbolt the valve cover. You'll need some rtv in the corner(s) he showed. Take a close look at the valve cover and engine block to see where the factory put rtv.

The one spot to be careful is when he pried up the spark plug tube seals. You don't want to scratch the mating surface. You also don't want to mar the edge he used as a pivot. Wrapping the end and the pivot point of the pry bar with some electrical tape will help prevent this from happening.

The torque on the valve cover bolts for my TSX is 8.7 ft-lb and your engine is almost identical, so you can use that torque setting. I usually just tighten by feel when tightening, maybe a quarter turn past snug.

I'd suggest watching other youtube videos on replacing valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals to get more confidence. Ericthecarguy has some videos covering this that I'd recommend.

Last edited by PAhonda; 11-08-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Almost A Senior Member

200 miles a day??? Dude, you need to move!

Old 11-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

As pahonda mentioned, its a relatively easy job to do. If you can change your own oil, you can do this. I bought my felpro gasket set on Amazon.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by bicklebok
As pahonda mentioned, its a relatively easy job to do. If you can change your own oil, you can do this. I bought my felpro gasket set on Amazon.
What he said. I got my gasket kit thru Rock Auto. I just added it to some other items I was getting.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by ACERX
Hi all,
I commute about 200 miles a day and i will not be driving the car knowing there is an issue. please help in anyway you can i will be grateful.
My experience: 2 of my 3 Accords (92, 93, 97) my had this issue and they went tens of thousands of miles firing just fine.
Could join AAA and upgrade to the highest level membership (longest free tow mileage) available in your state if you're concerned big time.