General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Fill Revisted

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Default Oil Fill Revisted

[align=left]Hi Gang,
I have a 2006 Accord EX 4 cyl. Earlier this year I posted about the amount of oil I was adding after draining and changing the filter. I was adding around 4.9 to 5 quarts vs. the 4.4 - 4.5 quarts in the manual. I was also using a floor jack and jack stands and jacking the car up quite high. The discussion was could more oil be draining out because of the height of the stands?? Well, I purchased a set of Rhino ramps which just clear the lower bumper. I noticed that I had a much harder time getting under the car and working under the car to do this weekend's oil change. I would guess that there was 2-3 less inches of clearance for me under the vehicle.

For this change, 4.5 quarts took me to just below the full hole. So unless Amsoil puts 3 ounces more than a quart in their quart bottles or QState or Penzoil puts 3 ounces less than a quart in theirs, I think I have now proven that jacking the car up high enough will get more old oil to drain from the engine. About a pint more.

Just though you might be interrested.
[/align]

Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil Fill Revisted

If you lookat the detailed specs, like in a Helm repair manual, it's got the complete oil capacity (when you rebuild the engine) along with the amount for a drain/fill. You'll be surprised how much oil hangs around all over the place. Take the valve cover off & look at all the pools of oil around there & imagine similar stuff thru the bottom end too.

I usually get closer to 5 quarts also, because I normally rotate my tires as it drains. So each corner gets lifted as I go around; that drains a lot out.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Little trick I learned from my Harley....a "clean" oil change....leave the oil filter off and fill the car and start it< keep adding oil while leaving the filter off and watch as pure clean oil comes out, shut car off, put a new filter on and fill the oil back up, check a few times after adding the filter till the car shows full, VOILA'! pure clean oil all through the car.....time consuming but insures a complete clean oil change

Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: korrupt1

Little trick I learned from my Harley....a "clean" oil change....leave the oil filter off and fill the car and start it< keep adding oil while leaving the filter off and watch as pure clean oil comes out, shut car off, put a new filter on and fill the oil back up, check a few times after adding the filter till the car shows full, VOILA'! pure clean oil all through the car.....time consuming but insures a complete clean oil change
Yeah you might have clean oil but

no offense,,,, but that has got to be one of the most stupid ideas that i ever heard ,,,,,,Do you know how much oil comes out if car is running and no filter ??? you will have a HUGE oil mess all over the lower side of the engine , the ground ??
wow.. why not just change oil, do not replace the filter, add new oil, add some oil cleaner in engine, then run for a while, replace oil again and install a new filter the filter ,.
less of a mess

Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM

That must be a lot less messy when done on a Harley.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:14 PM

Make a adaptor with a hose to add on where the oil filter goes and lay hose in oil catch tank....I only do this maybe twice a year myself but have always had good results with it (shrugs) to each his own ya know?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: korrupt1

Make a adaptor with a hose to add on where the oil filter goes and lay hose in oil catch tank....I only do this maybe twice a year myself but have always had good results with it (shrugs) to each his own ya know?
I guess one could try that to minimize the mess ....it is an idea .
Just curious ,,, since you have done it..
How much oil do you use to have the oil come out totally clean from the oil filter piping ??

Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM

roughly one extra quart....I buy the big jugs of oil and after a few seconds of routing the hose into the oil catch, start it and just keep adding a few ounces as she runs through until I see clean oil coming out....this way I know I have no old oil in any passages....then some topping off after putting the filter back on ( I pre fill the filter also) I am a Valvoline fan and have always used that for my preferred brand. The large jugs work out perfectly as I have very little left after doing a clean oil change

Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM

I was mainly posting this due to the reponses I got when I posted earlier this year about my 4.9 - 5 quart changes. No one who responded ever needed any more than 4.5 quarts, even with ramps. So there were questions about the accuracy of my dip stick and questions about whether or not jacking the car up could really result in more oil being drained out.

The oil capacity of the engine is in the owners manual and is listed as 5.6 quarts for the 4 cyl.

Now that I know my car and oil change habits produce normal results, I might actually go back to using the jack and jack stands to raise the car up higher to drain out more oil! Not worried about it either way.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jackkpts

The oil capacity of the engine is in the owners manual and is listed as 5.6 quarts for the 4 cyl.

[align=left] [/align]

5.6 qts is for when you do an engine overhaul.
. a drain and refill including replacing the filter is 4.4 qts,,
without the filter it is 4.2 qts ,,,,,,,put 4.5 qts in and do not even bother looking at the dipstick ..