General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Default Which oil filter?

Changing my oil tomorrow (first time, woohoo)

Anyway which filter should I use. The AutoZone here carries Bosch, Stp, Fram, Fram tough guard, mobil, K&N. The mobil and K&N are too expensive for me so what about the others? Or should I go to the honda service center and buy from them? Also will I need to replace the washer or not?

For oil I planned on getting the Mobil 5000

Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

I usually run Honda or Mobil. I would think a Honda one would be just as much as a mobil or K&N. Out of the cheaper ones I would go with Bosch, stay away from fram at all costs.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by live2rice
I usually run Honda or Mobil. I would think a Honda one would be just as much as a mobil or K&N. Out of the cheaper ones I would go with Bosch, stay away from fram at all costs.
OK, I was just under the impression the honda filter was like $7 or $8 and the Mobil is about $14. I hadn't called my honda dealer so I'm just going by what I have seen online.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Purolator PureOne is really good too. Often good prices at Amazon, of all places...

Old 03-25-2009, 08:00 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Ditto Bosch/Puralator/Mobil...and NO FRAM!!! Do a forum thread search for oil filters, you will get plenty of info. Here's a good article:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

P.S. If you plan on posting alot, add your vehicle info in your signature...it helps alot.

--Bigdawg

Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

$14 for a Mobil1?!?!? I pay $10-11 for those...

Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 PM

WTF man...

I got all the stuff I needed for the oil change and I couldn't do it.

I put the jack in the middle under the engine on the frame part of the car and jack it to the highest the jack will go and it's not high enough to put the jack stands under on those spots by the wheels. I tried putting them on the frame on opposite sides of the jack but then it wasn't high enough for me to do anything. I could reach the drain plug but no way I was going to reach the filter.

I'm pissed man, wtf.

Should I just drive onto a high curb and try to change the oil like that? I don't want to waste the stuff...

Old 03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

On the K-engine, I find it easier to reach the filter from the top. Remove 1 bolt bracket for the P/S hose on the corner of the valve cover. Reach down behind there to remove the filter.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Hey I dont know if anyone has an Advance Auto Parts Store near them but they are having a pretty good sale:

5qts. of Castrol Full Synthetic + K&N Oil Filter for $25 bucks

or

5 Castrol GTX Conventional + FRAM Filter for $15

thought i'd pass this along....

Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
On the K-engine, I find it easier to reach the filter from the top. Remove 1 bolt bracket for the P/S hose on the corner of the valve cover. Reach down behind there to remove the filter.
I'll give this a try tomorrow, thanks.

Quick Reply: Which oil filter?