General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak from distributor

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by darkgreen18290
i'm planning to replace mine too... is the 6th gen same with 5th? in term of size of the o-ring, and I've noticed on the pictures that he has adjustable timing. is there a pic somewhere here for 6th gen?
My 97 uses a Tec distributor. The 98 Accord 4 cylinder motor uses a different Hitachi distributor. The O-ring for the Hitachi is a different part number as well.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 10-15-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, different parts, not interchangable between years, but the procedure is the same.
- 1998 distributor does not have slotted mounting holes because you don't twist the distributor to adjust timing.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The 97 Accord spark timing is controlled by a sensor down at the crank pully. So distributor position isn't so important.
Is this true only for 97's that have the Hitachi distributor or does it also apply to the motors with the Tec distributors?

BTW ... I just used a marker to draw a course line. Lined them back up upon distributor installation and car runs fine just like before.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

The 94-97 accords with a vtec engine use a hitachi distributor. The 96 and 97 are identical. The 94 and 95 are identical.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

96 & 97 are OBD-2 and spark timing is controlled by a sensor down at the crank pully. I think they still have a distributor with slotted mounting holes, but adjusting the distributor position doesn't really do anything.

I don't think it's a question of Hitachi vs. Tech - I think it's a question of what model-year is the car.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Finally, today I replaced distributor o-ring. I had no problem reinstalling distributor when I marked well many places. There was no internal oil seal leak when I opened the distributor cap. My old o-ring looked ok from outside. Anyway, I changed it. When I tried to remove the old o-ring, it just broked in half. It was brittle and not stretchable and was a little bit flattened on top. My new O-ring size was same as old one, but it was slightly thinner. I bought this from Autozone. It came in 5 o-rings in one packet. Now, I still get a little bit of leak spot when dab with tissue paper under distributor where it attaches to cylinder head. I am wondering it maybe the wrong o-ring type although they said it was right for my car, Honda accord '95 4 cylinder v-tech engine. Probably I should have got another brand o-ring from O'Reilly store (comes only 1 in a packet). This might be the correct one? I guess I wasted half the day putting in wrong kind o-ring. Well, I will drive around for a week and see if I get lots of oil leakage or not under the distributor.

Thanks guys, I really appreciated your help, and have a good weekend!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Seems like the new O-ring should have been fat enough to fill the groove better. Maybe just your description, but wait & see if it leaks.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

The Honda O ring I bought was only a few bucks, if you still have a leak it might be worth considering going with one of those instead.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:22 AM

I prefer to use OEM O-ring and gaskets when replacing; IMO they achieve a better fit. The oil may just be residual as some oil does drip out when you remove the distributor.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:29 PM

i replaced mine (distributor o-ring) last friday and clean the entire engine with no problem, she start fine then drive around the village, i notice that D4 is flashing, i will open a new thread to explain further.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from distributor