General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak on Passenger Side..HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Default Oil Leak on Passenger Side..HELP!!!!!

My 18 yr old just purchased a 1996 Honda Accord (4 dr). It has about 170,000 miles on it. Just noticed an oil leak near the passenger side tire. Checked the oil and there's not a drop in it. The oil was fine 2 days ago, so this must be a big leak. Could it be the pan, the filter, or is this something more serious like a seal? HELP PLEASE... it only has a 30 day warranty. Don't want to take it back for them to tell me that they fixed it and they didn't and then the warranty runs out. Any help appreciated.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i would have it checked out by a professional,, ,, could be a costly repair ( rear main seal )

where the tranny need to come out to replace the seal,

do you see any oil leak while engine is running?? it would be best to have car on a lift to properly see under the vehicle

Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 PM

The counter balance shaft seal would leak about there and pour out. It is behind the front cover. Honda added a retaining ring post production to keep the seal from coming out and wasn’t a recall but a campaign.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
The counter balance shaft seal would leak about there and pour out. It is behind the front cover. Honda added a retaining ring post production to keep the seal from coming out and wasn’t a recall but a campaign.
that would leak on the drivers side ,,( assuming he is not in the U.K.,, then if engine is opposite you could be correct ..)

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-12-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Opps My Bad

Can I plea dyslexia

Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Well if it is a 6 cyl then isn't it "pointing" the other way. Is this a 4 or 6 cyl? The op says "4 dr" not 4 cyl but I'm assuming that is four doors and not four cyl...either way, take it back and get an answer.

Last edited by poorman212; 08-13-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 PM

4 cylind...sorry forgot to specify. A little has changed in the last few days.... The oil is now holding, but still see a leak behind the passenger front tire.

Front end work was done about 4 months ago. Could this be something else other than oil?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 PM

could be a cv boot torn open and grease has leaked out,, it could also be a brake line and or brake caliper leaking, ,, you need to have it checked out by a shop or at least lift car up and chk the leak out yourself,,,,,,,,,if it is clear could also be coming from the a/c drain tube ,, coolant leak ? ..Since you have days left on warranty have it diagnosed properly by a shop to possibly avoid costly repair bill...

all we can do from here is to guess , not a proper way to diagnose things,

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM

Went to the dealership...they said the distributor was leaking. Then they also replaced the heater hose because it was bubbled. Was this from the oil leaking on it? The oil leak stopped for now, but the A/C doesn't work as well. It's blowing, but not as cold. Will the heater hose cause the A/C coolant to diminish?

Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 AM

I know that heater hose well. I believe that is how I blew the head gasket on my 1995. I believe that hose connects to the water valve which controls the temp from a cable and that is what I would be looking out. It may now be out of adjustment. My 95 the valve cover gasket leak did the same thing to that hose.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak on Passenger Side..HELP!!!!!