General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak and Spedo issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Default Oil leak and Spedo issues

I own a 95 accord EX 2.2Vtec 5spd and I seem to be having a couple of issues.
The car has seen better days and I would not have bought it if I still had my civic -_-.

First problem:
Oil leak:
Made better by stopleak for short periods of time.
Slow steady leak
From front of car.
Not from oil pan.
Seems to be from the bottom.

My guess is a loose oil pressure sensor although I may be wrong. The engine was swapped out by one of the previous owners for an engine with about 70k on it. I guess they blew the old F22.
Any ideas?

Second problem:
Speedometer:
Cuts in and out.
Stuck at 20 while running.
needle will jump up and down while pulling out from a standstill.
Odometers wont work while spedo is stuck at 20.

Not the speed sensor because That was replaced a couple of months ago.
Recently my ignition switch was acting up but apparently it was just dirty contacts. cleaned it up and it works now.
After I cleaned up the switch the spedo worked without a hitch for a couple of days.

And finally a question. The car makes a rattling noise during acceleration when I have my foot in it. Its a light sound which sounds identical to the one my 95 stratus was making. I cured that by binding up some loose piping to the radiator under the bumper. Is the same issue? The sound and cause is identical to the stratus.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM

did you replace your gauges with indaglo gauges? sometimes the needle will gt stuck if not enough room around the cylinder to move or the needle can be loose. be careful because any movement to the needle will break it, they are sensative

Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Nope, Id like to do some gauge work but they are stock at the moment. I'm pretty sure they are not broken as the speedometer works sometimes.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Distributor shaft oring is a known leak source. Look for oil coming from interface of distributor and cylinder head. If oil is dripping from distributor housing, the internal shaft seal is leaking (search this site for repair instructions,link).

Vtec switch housing has an rubber ring gasket on the base that can leak.

Oil sensor switch is on back side of engine near the oil filter. Leak should be obvious w/ car elevated to allow inspection.

Speedometer movement or circuit board is probably faulty. Look for used part using car-part.com for parts near your zip code.

Noise could be corroded heat shields on exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. A large hose clamp can be used to secure loose converter heat shield.

good luck

Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks Texas, I will look for all those possible spots however I believe the rattle is not a heat shield. If it is, its damn quiet. The heat shield on my civic sounded like I ran my car on tin cans or had a bunch of them hanging from the bottom of the car.

Perhaps "Rattle" is misleading, it is VERY quiet, you almost have to strain to hear it, especially over the fart can that came with the car. It sounds like it is coming out from the driver front side of the car. Like I said , its identical to the sound the loose 1/4" piping that ran coolant to the auto transmission on the stratus.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Your 5-spd tranny doesn't have cooler lines going to the radiator.

Heatshields come loose or crack, a little bit at a time. Yours may be very early, so not yet very loud. The heatshield on my 98 Accord began cracking around one of the bolts. It rattled very quietly until the crack broke thru.

Some years (not sure which) the A-pipe (under the oil pan) is really a pipe-inside-a-pipe. The inner pipe can buzz against the outer pipe which drove me nuts on my 95 Integra.

Speedometer:
When it's NOT working, check to see if your cruise control works. If that goes out the same time, it might be the wiring for your VSS (since you recently replaced the VSS itself). That should trigger a check-engine light, which brings me to my next point...

Verify that the CEL bulb is OK by watching for it to come on when you first turn on the key.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-11-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by Darthanis
Thanks Texas, I will look for all those possible spots however I believe the rattle is not a heat shield. If it is, its damn quiet. The heat shield on my civic sounded like I ran my car on tin cans or had a bunch of them hanging from the bottom of the car.

Perhaps "Rattle" is misleading, it is VERY quiet, you almost have to strain to hear it, especially over the fart can that came with the car. It sounds like it is coming out from the driver front side of the car. Like I said , its identical to the sound the loose 1/4" piping that ran coolant to the auto transmission on the stratus.
My daughter had a 97 Acura 2.2CL w/ 5spd manual. It had a "rattle" that I could detect in 1st gear under moderate to heavy acceleration. I never could reproduce when car was stopped, only under acceleration. It was not terribly annoying, but I could definitely hear the noise. Car had no significant corrosion and I never was able to determine a noise source. I always thought it was some type of heat shield resonance, but only a guess.

good luck