General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Oil Leprechaun

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Default The Oil Leprechaun

I know this topic has been talked about before. But I'm stumped.

2001 EX, 5 speed, 4 cyl, 255K.

Have been burning some oil for awhile, no big deal, have always heard it was somewhat normal. Usually when the oil was low the CEL would come on, it hasn't done that in ages.

Two weeks ago, wife is driving the car, OIL pressure light pops on (first time ever). Oil is nearly gone. Fill with oil, light goes out, all is good.

Now, two weeks later, OIL light is back on, oil is nearly gone. A quart of oil every 2K miles or so, ok, but 4+ quarts in two weeks????

I have no oil leaks that can be seen on the driveway, not a drop. I have some residue from the valve cover, no big deal (replacing gasket). There is some oil on the back side of the timing belt cover, but I think that is oil spillage (wife doesn't believe in funnels). There is some oily residue by the engine stiffener and on the front side and under the timing belt cover/oil pan area, definitely oil (some can still be from spillage).

Not throwing any codes. Oil pump works obviously. Where is it going?

Had her up on ramps with it running and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Let it sit, no oil dripping, nada!

It would have to be a serious leak to lose that much oil that quickly and I would think it would be noticeable. Burning oil? ok, but good lord, no smoke nothing out of the exhaust. Unless people are siphoning oil instead of gas now?

Any help?

Last edited by mamtsberg; 05-11-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by mamtsberg
Had her up on ramps with it running and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Let it sit, no oil dripping, nada!

It would have to be a serious leak to lose that much oil that quickly and I would think it would be noticeable.
Burning oil? ok, but good lord, no smoke nothing out of the exhaust.
good checking; I'm with you, too much, too fast.

I'd warm up the car, have wife drive the car with me following,
pick a route that goes up and down hills and watch for smoke from behind.

what oil, where live, btw?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 PM

A quart of oil every 2K miles or so, ok, but 4+ quarts in two weeks????
How many miles in those two weeks?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Mileage would have been between 400-600 for those two weeks.

We went camping last weekend (upstate PA) and I was following her through the hills in my truck. No smoke coming out the back, that was my first thought too.

I've got Pennzoil High Mileage in it, been using it for years, 5w-30. It's always burned some oil, so I'm not surprised. the amount of oil in two weeks is very surprising and what has me concerned.

Last edited by mamtsberg; 05-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Did you change the oil right before you had a drastic loss in oil?

There are a few way to go about finding the leak.

One way is to add some UV dye, then look for the fluorescence. I would clean the engine first. Make sure you cover the alternator and distributor. Most parts stores sell the dye and glasses that help you see the dye. If you have a black light, that will help.

Another way is to look for signs of an oil leak at the common spots. Those would be the oil filter, the drain plug, the oil pressure switch, the valve cover, the Vtec solenoid, and the distributor. Behind the timing belt cover is another spot. You may want to clean the engine, so you dont assume an oil residue is from spillage when topping off the oil.

Take a look at the spark plugs. They should indicate heavy burning of oil. You should also check the PCV valve as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 PM

Mileage would have been between 400-600 for those two weeks.
So 1qt/100 miles. Burning that much oil should emit clouds of blue smoke from the tailpipe. Leaking that much would leave very noticeable puddles under the car. The undercarriage would be dripping with oil.

X2 on pulling the plugs. Since it's not noticeably dripping it's got to be burning.

A reach, but maybe that particular oil doesn't burn blue?

Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 AM

I pulled the plugs and here is what I've got:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...1&d=1368336827

Looked under the valve cover gasket, a nice thick coating of oil, after 255K miles I guess that's expected lol

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...1&d=1368336827

I cleaned the engine a bit so we'll see what happens. She's going to be sitting for a few days, I actually have to work 5 days this week, this sucks!!!

I pulled the PCV valve too, it still rattled but you could tell it was a little "soft" inside feeling like some goo in there too. I checked it about a month ago and the vacuum was solid.

This stupid leprechaun is going to get a butt whopping lol

Oh, went back and checked.

Timing belt, seals, plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor done @ 210K

Attached Thumbnails The Oil Leprechaun-plug.jpg   The Oil Leprechaun-goo.jpg  

Last edited by mamtsberg; 05-12-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 AM

That 'nice thick coating of oil' would be called 'gunk' in my book. When you get this figured out maybe try a different oil;
I'd stick w/ dino but try a non Penn grade crude oil like Chevron, Valvolene or Shell.

Last edited by UhOh; 05-12-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't gone to left field recently.

Recently ran across a TSB for some GM engines (PIP4492N) - Jim, some sabb''s use this engine as well. They are having an issue with oil comsuption. What they have found is that the baffle in the valve cover where the pcv connects is getting clogged. Either cleaning the baffle or replacing the valvle cover has solved the issue.

OP- PCV are cheap, I'd replace it. Also with the vc off it couldn't hurt anything to spary some carb cleaner thru the hole where the hose connects.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:53 PM

so got up early before work and did some investigation.

Took the distributor off, and some oil coming from the O-ring. Had it before, replacing O-ring.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...1&d=1368384345

Took the heat shield off, just for kicks and found some oil down under the exhaust manifold, not sure of origin

Took the engine stiffener off, a large oil covering coming from that area. Stiffener was covered, as was oil pan. However, oil pan bolts were still torqued properly and the oil was only on the pan/stiffener and not the toothed wheel.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...3&d=1368384350

The only other thing I found, and it probably nothing was a small split hose, it's underneath the PCV vavle and hooks to a nipple on the cylinderhead and then goes back into the intake section. Pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with the situation.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...1&d=1368384319

So, no closer to finding the cause, anything inside the cylinder head that can cause oil burn?

Attached Thumbnails The Oil Leprechaun-oil-dist.jpg   The Oil Leprechaun-oil-hose.jpg   The Oil Leprechaun-oil-pan.jpg   The Oil Leprechaun-oil-stiff.jpg  

Last edited by mamtsberg; 05-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: The Oil Leprechaun