General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Oil Leprechaun

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM

I drained the oil and didn't take the filter, off, I thought it looked strange when I was under there.

The last time the oil was changed is when the car was in for inspection, i normally do it myself but since it was in, let them do it.

They used the wrong size oil filter. You can see in the picture the one on the left is definitely the wrong size. There was no oil leaking from there so it doesn't explain the oil consumption but would that cause any issue?

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...1&d=1368386932

Attached Thumbnails The Oil Leprechaun-filter.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Did you check the printed model number to verify it's not the right one? If not I would absolutely verify first. The one on the left is white, what is it a Purolator? It looks just like a Purolator L14610 which a bunch of Honda's use. Maybe they assumed your car used the same one? The Purolator site says your car uses the L14459 the top of which looks like the "correct" one on the right so I think it is the wrong one.

I'm not sure that would cause any damage though. Comparing the tops of the two the gasket looks like its the same size which means at least the oil stays within the gasket right? The number of holes drilled into it on the top varies by manufacturer so that's not really a problem. I'm not sure what that lip on the outside of the correct one does but it must be there for a reason and not just because it's thicker?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 AM

The one on the left (white) is a Quaker State (QS14612), which is what their website says fits the car. As you can see they are not even close in size. The O-ring is smaller. There was no leaking so I don't think that would have anything to do with oil loss. the only thing I could think of is if it increased oil pressure might exaggerate the oil loss.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Just me, but I'm going to guess that the filter was/is not the issue.

Just me but IMHO replace the PCV, nice to see what looked like a new one in one of the pic's? Pulling the vc and a few sprays of carb cleaner where the pcv sits costs nothing....I re-use vc gaskets three to four times (or at ~60K miles) all the time. Might add a dab or two of silicone to the cam humps but other than that good to go.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Alright, I had some more time to look at this especially after catching up on sleep.

Unfortunately I didn't "diagnose" as much as I should before I tore the valve cover off and the distributor.

Original issue, losing tons of oil in very short period of time, i.e. 3-4 qts in less than 1000 miles.

Distributor O-rings, definitely leaking, oil "spray" all the way out to the engine mount area and over the top of the transmission.

Valve cover definitely leaking, some oil on back some on side of timing belt but not into the timing belt cover and some on the front. Looking down under the exhaust manifold a pretty good covering of oil that goes all the way down to the oil pan/stiffener plate area. Some doing down back but not nearly as much.

Oil pan is coated in oil, seal looks ok and the bolts are still torqued from the factory.

I'm leaning less towards the oil pan and more towards the valve cover/distributor leak but could that leak that much oil in that short period of time?

I should have done an oil pressure check and watch the engine more to see if there was oil coming out of anything but too late for that.

Valve cover gasket was intact (no noticeable defects/cuts/holes/chunks missing) and the main area of oil was right at the middle between the middle two spark plugs. Looking on the underside of the cover that is were the oil is "caked" on while the rest is just a slick coating.

Thoughts?