Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

what's the difference between oil filters that reqire oil and ones that dont?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Default what's the difference between oil filters that reqire oil and ones that dont?

pros and cons of the filters for short ram intakes which require oil and ones that don't
and how about the reusable air filters, are they any good?

Old 10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Default RE: what's the difference between oil filters that reqire oil and ones that dont?

The vast majority are reusable. Those that aren't are usually foam and have poor air cleaning characteristics. The disadvantage of those requiring cleaning and oiling is that overoiling can cause its own set of problems. The oil can be ingested and make a mess of sensors, the tube, and the throttle body itself. The oil on those parts attracts and traps dirt which you don't even want.

The oilless filters, like AEM, (which is what I have) only need to be cleaned every 30,000 miles or so and left to dry. This one only requires AEM's cleaner whereas the K&N style needs both cleaner and oil of whatever brand.

I've used K&N filters so long that I had to import them from England when I first started. Never once did I have a problem with too much oil or any other problems for that matter. In my estimation you've got to be a little thick to overoil one but it happens.

Why did I change filters? It was actually unintentional.....the AEM short ram I ordered came with their new dryflow filter. Although I haven't had to clean it yet I do like the idea that it's just a matter of cleaning it and letting dry. No oil to mess with so that's one less step and no mess anywhere.

It is claimed the the AEM dryflow filters better than oiled gauze type filters but I don't really know if that's so or not.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Default RE: what's the difference between oil filters that reqire oil and ones that dont?

so for the dry filters, how are they cleaned, do you dump them in water and scrub?

Old 10-22-2006, 09:56 AM

No, you use the specific cleaner from AEM. An instruction video is available on their website. There may be others but AEM is the only one I'm aware of that has a reusable dry filter.