General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Pan Gasket

Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Default Oil Pan Gasket

I recently had to remove my oil pan to cover up an oil return hole that was made by the previous owner. I noticed it did not have an oil pan gasket, it just had blue silicone. I used silicone when reinstalling the oil pan but drove it 5 hours after and now I have a leak. Might be because I didnt let it settle correct?

I am going to redo it but this time I am going to let it dry for a whole 24 hours.

Question: Is it necessary to have an oil pan gasket or can I just use the silicone?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Either will do. Me personally, I'd buy the gasket, I'm not good with just silicone.

Either way, proper torque of the pan bolts is a MUST.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

1998 4-cyl does not have a gasket; use sealant. The guy at the dealer parts-counter will probably confirm that if you try to buy one. Maybe you didn't let the sealant dry enough??

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
1998 4-cyl does not have a gasket; use sealant. The guy at the dealer parts-counter will probably confirm that if you try to buy one. Maybe you didn't let the sealant dry enough??
Lol, yeah I drove it while the sealant was still squishy and even smelled oil. This caused me to the the job all over again but it was fun LOL.

I finished a few hours ago, now Im going to actually let it dry for 24 hours.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Either will do. Me personally, I'd buy the gasket, I'm not good with just silicone.

Either way, proper torque of the pan bolts is a MUST.
That was probably the most important part and I skipped out. I didnt have a torque wrench so I just tightened them a little past snug. The first time I did it I broke off the head of one. This time I broke it off another so I just tightened it Im guessing right before they broke.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks for your input poorman212 and JimBlake

Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hope it works!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 AM

Checked it today after a day of driving! All went well! Now the only problem I have is after installing my fuel pump the gauge is stuck below E. When I fill it up it goes to E. :/

This had happened the first time I installed the fuel pump in Feb then when I hit a dip it fixed. So lately when I have been seeing dipps I gun it HAHAHA. Do you guys have any knowledge as to the fix for this other than buying a new one?

The only way of telling when I need gas is the gas light or I count the miles driven but I want it fully working.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

I am not as familiar with the 98-02 accords as I am with the 94-97s.
On the 94-97 accords, the sending unit was separate from the fuel pump. Not sure if the 98 has the same setup.

When you replaced the fuel pump, was the float part of the fuel pump assembly?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by jfidelh
Checked it today after a day of driving! All went well! Now the only problem I have is after installing my fuel pump the gauge is stuck below E. When I fill it up it goes to E. :/

This had happened the first time I installed the fuel pump in Feb then when I hit a dip it fixed. So lately when I have been seeing dipps I gun it HAHAHA. Do you guys have any knowledge as to the fix for this other than buying a new one?

The only way of telling when I need gas is the gas light or I count the miles driven but I want it fully working.
You can keep track of your miles driven using the trip odometer. I know when I reach 325 miles, I need to fill up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket