General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil pressure warnig light blinks on occasion

Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Default Oil pressure warnig light blinks on occasion

What makes oil pressure warnig light to blink like a trun signal?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Default RE: Oil pressure warnig light blinks on occasion

maybe its you oil pressure switch. also when was your last oil change?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Oil change was done last week.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 AM

It blinked again this morning. I started engine and backed up from parking spot. As I was shifting to first gear, the engine stalled. Upon re-start, the blinking started. Drove the car for 30 minutes without any problem. Stopped engine for 30 minutes and re-started. There is no blinking. Drove for another 30 minutes and stopped for 5 minutes to talk with a friend. Re-started engine and no blinking.
Does anyone has idea? Owner's manual does not explain that well on this matter.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 AM

it sounds like the oil pressure is low. had this problem on my v tec. does it feel like stalling sometimes? replace oil pressure switch. its a cheap part, nomore than ten bucks.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Thank you for your in put. I will try the switch swap.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM

I bought a pressure switch for 8 dollars. This switch had 3 ohms of resistance between post and ground. Removed old one, washed in parts washer and took the measurement. It had 110 ohms. The car has 215000 miles. Gunk and sludge made resistance higher, I think.

After switch swap, I drove for a minute. Shut it down and started engine immediately. The warning light did not blink. It worked as it should.

I did not install test gauge to monitor oil pressure, so I do not know if oil pressure is low or not. But I am pretty sure that oil pressure is O.K. But then,,,?

Thank you,

Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM

This happened to me, it was because i had low oil pressure. Def check your oil level, try and find any leaks around the oil filter or valve cover. The dip stick will have spots of oil on them not a definate oil level.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: maachan513

But I am pretty sure that oil pressure is O.K. But then,,,?

Thank you,
How can you be sure without checking it ???

hook up a pressure gauge, let the engine warm up..

at idle oil pressure should be at least 10 psi

at 3000 rps oil pressure should be at least 50 psi

if below these readings, you might want to pull the pan and chk the oil pick up screen for being clogged and also chk the oil pump for wear....

if pressures are ok, and lite comes back on again , it is an electrical issue , since you replaced the switch ( with a honda one i hope ) might be a wiring issue ..

Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Fenix

This happened to me, it was because i had low oil pressure. Def check your oil level, try and find any leaks around the oil filter or valve cover. The dip stick will have spots of oil on them not a definate oil level.
I am new to this car, for two weeks now.Before I start driving this car, I had changed a lot of seals. Since I did all of the work, I checked oil level many times. Looked under the hood, and under the car to check for major leak. There was a leak from distributor seal I found this Saturday. The distributor was changed on that day.

I hope you don't mind of me asking some questions. What do you mean by spots of oil on dip stick? Do you mean cheking oil level by dip stick is not a definate way of checking oil level? When you had low oilpressure on your engine, what was pressure reading at what rpm at what temp? What brand of oil and what grade of oil was in the engine?How did you solved the problem.Did you raise oil pressure by adjusting pressure regulator?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pressure warnig light blinks on occasion