General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil pressure warnig light blinks on occasion

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: Oil pressure warnig light blinks on occasion

well in my case my last mechanic didnt put the drain plug on tightly. So i had a slow leak. When the oil pressure light came on i checked the level and noted that on the dip stick there were dots of oil, as oppsed to a solid level mark. What i did was add more oil until the light came on again, so i took it to my local honda dealership. They are the ones that told me that the drain plug was not tightened properly. The dipstick is a very reliable method of checking the oil level. Thats how i found out the level was low.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Fenix

well in my case my last mechanic didnt put the drain plug on tightly. So i had a slow leak. When the oil pressure light came on i checked the level and noted that on the dip stick there were dots of oil, as oppsed to a solid level mark. What i did was add more oil until the light came on again, so i took it to my local honda dealership. They are the ones that told me that the drain plug was not tightened properly. The dipstick is a very reliable method of checking the oil level. Thats how i found out the level was low.
Thank you for reply. It makes more sense now.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ORIGINAL: maachan513

But I am pretty sure that oil pressure is O.K. But then,,,?

Thank you,
How can you be sure without checking it ???

hook up a pressure gauge, let the engine warm up..

at idle oil pressure should be at least 10 psi

at 3000 rps oil pressure should be at least 50 psi

if below these readings, you might want to pull the pan and chk the oil pick up screen for being clogged and also chk the oil pump for wear....

if pressures are ok, and lite comes back on again , it is an electrical issue , since you replaced the switch ( with a honda one i hope ) might be a wiring issue ..
There is now way I can be 100% sure of what oil pressure might be at any given rpm and temp without pressure gauge installed. It is good to know what oil pressure supposed be, too. Thank you. Not surprisingly, the spec is similar to what I work with, Lycomings and Continentals.

At this time, I am thinking that the onboard computer is counting number of low/ lost pressure incidents. At certain times on one leg of operation, the computer decides to raise the flag/warning light.

I am just guessing,,,

Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I am just guessing,,,

[/quote]

My friend please do not get offended when i say this,, but you are making this more complicated and wasting more time than what it is necessary ,, stop guessing and going around the bushes and do some DIAGNOSTIC WORK,, if oil level is ok,, chk the oil pressure, this will tell you if the problem is mechanical ( oil pump, screen clogged, worn bearing ) ( need to fix asap ) or electrical ..( switch, wiring ) ...

Old 06-10-2008, 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

I am just guessing,,,
My friend please do not get offended when i say this,, but you are making this more complicated and wasting more time than what it is necessary ,, stop guessing and going around the bushes and do some DIAGNOSTIC WORK,, if oil level is ok,, chk the oil pressure, this will tell you if the problem is mechanical ( oil pump, screen clogged, worn bearing ) ( need to fix asap ) or electrical ..( switch, wiring ) ...

[/quote]

I didn't get offended by your comment. I really appriciate your concern. You did not tell me to "Have a nice life", when I am seeking help from others.

I would be doing exactly the same thing as you are sayingif it was my customer complaining about oil pressure problems. Well, all of my cutomers have oil pressure gauge rather than warning light, though.

When I changed oil sump gasket, I looked atthe bottom of the sump and did not see any metal flakesor filings. So I thought, it's good!!I should have looked atthe pick up screen, but I didn't.

Since I changed pressure switch, non Honda, the warning light isworking as it should.But I must say this. The first leg of driving since the change, I had engine almost stalled number of times. I reset the CEL by pulling a fuse before the drive. The computer had to re-learn how to run without O2 sensor or something. It was difficult to drive and asrpm dipped low, the warning light flickered and it flickered so many times. The computer finally gave up and let the warning light to blink regardless of rpm.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 PM

I just read my old post and I would like to let everyone, whom helped me on this blinking warning light issue, know that I am still driving the same Accord.

I now know why it was blinking. It was due to faulty pressure switch. Also, I found out this thing about this car. if I turn the ignition switch to ON position but not start engine, and leave it there for a while, and then start the engine; the oil pressure warning light comes on, blinking. But if I turn it off once before the engine start, the light does not blink at all.

I thought this is somewhat interesting.