General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ongoing speedo problems; Needing some assistance.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 AM
daddy1902
Unregistered
Default Ongoing speedo problems; Needing some assistance.

I was having problems with my speedo in my 1990 Honda Accord ex. It was not working at all. So I replaced it with a used one it worked for about a week and now this one is acting up. Bouncing from zero to whatever speed I'm going then back to zero.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Ongoing speedo problems; Needing some assistance.

A weak coil, failing ignitor, or worn spark plugs can cause tach fluctuations. Anything that causes the car to miss may cause tach fluctuations. Coil is frequent culprit for ignition problems. Check DiY for help on diagnosing coil or ignitor problem.

If car is running fine, I would check the wiring carefully. A dirty connector or damaged wire could also cause your problem.

good luck

Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Hello Member..You could have also crimped that cable when you installed it back in your car -Check it !

Your used products are just that...Used not always the thing to use...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 PM

The speedo is controlled by the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It could be a failing sensor or a loose wire. Try taking a look at the sensor and seeing the condition. It is located to the left of the intake manifold just behind the thermostat on the tranny. It has 3 wires going to it, it's hidden down in there, but is in there.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

A weak coil, failing ignitor, or worn spark plugs can cause tach fluctuations. Anything that causes the car to miss may cause tach fluctuations. Coil is frequent culprit for ignition problems. Check DiY for help on diagnosing coil or ignitor problem.

If car is running fine, I would check the wiring carefully. A dirty connector or damaged wire could also cause your problem.

good luck
Sorry I misread your post and somehow interpreted tach problem. VSS is usual reason for speedometer problems, nothing to do w/ ignition. However, the Check Engine Light and D4 or S light should be flashing for VSS fault. Pull codes and check against DIY information on code explanations.

good luck

Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 AM
daddy1902
Unregistered

Texas Honda, Thank you for your tips. I was a bit confused by your reply, but since we are on the ignition subject I am also starting to have problems with what I believe is the starter. I push the clutch in turn the key and nothing. It's not my batterie because my lights don't go dim. I can push start it or jump the starter with a screw driver with no hesitation from the starter. When I jump the starter engages strong. What do you think?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM
daddy1902
Unregistered

Ok I checked the wiring and it was ok. How can I tell if it is A failing sensor? I already replaced it once, and it worked fine. Now its acting up again is there something that could be burning out the vss or causing it to stop working.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Regarding speedometer, you didn't say whether you have CEL or D4 light flashing or not? If no CEL or D4, then I would suspect the wiring since you've replaced the VSS and instrument panel w/ the same problem returning. If you have CEL and/or D4 flashing, the VSS or wiring/connector to VSS is the problem.

Regarding starter, it could be the ignition switch is failing to supply start signal to the solenoid. Since you were able to short the solenoid and get the starter to run, the solenoid itself does not appear to be the problem. I would check for battery voltage to the solenoid switch when keyswitch is turned to Startposition. If no voltage, either a ignition switchproblem or wiring problem.

good luck