General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over Heating Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Default Over Heating Again

My daughter lives 4 hours away. A couple of weeks ago she called and said her car is over heated. It was out of coolant in the reservoir. I finally got it home and changed water pump thermostat and timing belt last weekend. I refilled coolant and bled the system as I understand the procedure.

A week later and the carway the hell over there, she calls to tell me the car is over heating again. I asked if the coolant is low in the reservoir. "Yes it was empty yesterday I haven't had a chance to check today".

Please advise as to what to look for. I am of the mind now that I should fill the reservoir and sell the thing. It is hard trying to keep something in good shape long distance. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Over Heating Again

did you chk for leaks ??? need to pressure test cooling system and chk for leaks,, also are both fans working ?? radiator cap ok ??if all of those are ok,, do a leakage test chk for a blown head gasket

on our DIY section there are posts on how to trouble shoot overheating

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/OVE...m_20999/tm.htm

Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 PM

It sounds like you got a bad thermostat to me. If there were a leak, I wouldn't expect the car to be ok for a week, but if it's driven lightly then a leak is posible. I've had a bunch of thermostats go on a previous car and when it locked closed, the engine would boil off the coolant due to low flow. If you just had that work done, I'd try to get the car back to the same shop, or at least call them to make sure that they will correct the work later.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 AM

I checked for leaks, but, only by looking. I guess the cap is OK. The pressure test I assume I will have to have done ata shop? I did use an aftermarket thermostat. Is that horrible?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 AM

I have sold and used aftermarket thermostats for awhile, and I don't think you'll have any trouble with them. I have one in my 91 right now. However, the first step in diagnosing overheating concerns is to make sure the vehicle is keeping the coolant where it needs to be. It sounds like there is a leak somewhere for the reservoir to be empty like that. The leak must be located first. There are lots of hidden places on that engine where it can leak unseen. The best cooling system will overheat if the coolant isn't staying put.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The radiators are a frequent source of leaks on the upper seam and cracks in the upper housing. I've also had leaks in the heater hoses and some of the throttle body coolant lines. The water pump can begin to leak and will leave a puddle of coolant just behind and inside the driver's side tire.

Small leaks can be difficult to visually detect and a pressure leak test may be necessary to find.

Looking on the ground after parking a hot engine for an hour or so will find small but significant leaks. However some leaks will be contained on the engine and not hit the ground. They dry up too fast to drip to the ground.

good luck

Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 PM

There's a real easy test for the thermostat. Take it out and see if the problem goes away!

Cheggie: I didn't mean that the T'stat would be worse because it is aftermarket, but it is possible to get a bad part from the factory whether OEM or aftermarket.

Still sounds like the stat to me!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

If you filled the radiator with coolant and bled properly, then you must have a leak. A thermostat that is stuck closed would overheat the car within five minutes. A stuck open thermostat would not cause fluid to leak out.

Since it took a week to start overheating, then there must be a leak in the system somewhere. Like TexasHonda said, the radiator and hoses are prime suspects for leaks, since you already replaced the water pump.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

If it leaks hot it may evaporate immediately so you never see it. That's why you check by pressurizing it cold.

Another possibility that you have to check to rule out is the radiator cap... It has 3 different seals & works together with the reservoir tank.

Biggest seal is against the top rim of the radiator neck, that would leak OUT & be seen.

The 2nd seal is against a smaller rim inside the radiator neck. If that leaks, coolant can boil over & flow into the reservoir.

The 3rd seal is a little poppet valve that seals against a disk in the cap itself. That allows the radiator to suck fluid back from the reservoir when it cools down.

If the hose to the reservoir has a small hole, the radiator sucks air back instead of sucking coolant. Like drinking thru a straw with a hole in the side. Over a period of a week or 2 it will overflow the reservoir while emptying the radiator.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 PM

I appreciate all of every one's input. I have not seen the car since it left here. I have had a few conversations with my daughter. I can't get good information from her. I have tried to stress to her to keep coolant/water in the car until I can look at it.

I feel suspect of my thermostat installation. I didn't understand what the two **** on the gasket were for. I still don't. I know the original gasket had them on it as well. I'm not sure I paid close enough attention to how the original was installed. It seems now with nearly 2 weeks behind me since I installed it, that those **** would keep the gasket from getting a good seal. Does anybody know if there was two corresponding holes that I should have lined up?

Quick Reply: Over Heating Again