General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overhead light removal on 2013 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Overhead light removal on 2013 Accord

I want to remove the overhead light to install hard wire for my radar detector. Does anyone know how to get the lights off without breaking them? I've tried to ply easily but am afraid to mess something up. I got the two screws off that were under the eyeglass holder but I know there are more screws. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Does your car have a moonroof? Whether it has a moonroof or not is basically the same procedure; but, the models with moonroof has 2 extra electrical harness connectors to unplug. You need to pry off the two plastic lenses covers to expose two more screws.

By as an alternative, you can always use an "Add-A-Circuit" in one of the unused slots in the driver's side fuse box to run power for the radar detector. The ground wire that goes to the radar detector power adapter would be attached at some point on the chassis under the driver's side dash. The "Add-A-Circuit" is available at most auto parts stores.

http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Da...FHM02FHA02.pdf

Then run the radar detector hardwire cord from under the headliner, and down the length of the A-pillar and down to the radar detector power adapter. The power wire from the "Add-A-Circuit" coming from the fuse box goes to the radar detector power adapter. You can hide the radar detector hardwire cord along the rubber insulation or A-pillar cover.

You should not need any tools to run the power cord under the headliner and A-pillar or rubber insulation, just push it with your fingers; it should only takes like a minute or so. There should be no need to remove the A-pillar cover to slide the cord under it.

Just curious, which radar detector do you have?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have the Passport 8500 X50.

I used to have it routed around the windshield and under the dash as you described. I just found a hot leg with 12 volts and wired into it. But the wire kept falling away from the windshield until I got tired of it and just hot wired into the overhead light. I want it to come on automatically when I start the car, so ideally I'm looking for a hot leg that gets current when the car is started.

Do you know where on the light to apply pressure to pop it off? I don't want to damage it.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

See attach pic. If your car doesn't have moonroof, then there are only the two electrical connectors on the left.

Attached Thumbnails Overhead light removal on 2013 Accord-roof-console.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Redbull. Once I saw the diagram the lens covers came off easily. I thought some wires would only be hot when the key was on (like the sunroof), but after testing all connections with a voltmeter, the ones that were hot with the key off, were the same ones that were hot with with it on. So there must be another way they control the sunroof power. I could not figure it out so I put it back together. I will run a cable around the window and under the dash like I did on another car. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome. I hardwired my radar detector by running it to the fuse box.