General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating =(

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Overheating =(

Hey guys I drive a 96 accord LX and yesterday my bottom hose came off since I guess i hit a bump and my car overheated. Well I put it back on inserted coolant but now when I'm driving the car I notice it leaking from behind the engine. And it doesnt seem to be from the waterpump -__- any ideas? Thanks in advance..

Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Supper Moderator

How bad did you over heat the car?
You have a water pipe that runs along the back of the engine...Iv never over heated a engine ever so I donno what could happen. Someone else should chime in and help you out

Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I have my fans plugged directly to a fuse and I was messing with things before all this happened, so i guess i unplugged the fans which caused it to over heat. I drove it for about 5 min so don't think it overheated to bad, just enough to unplug the bottom hose which I never really put right lol. It's just dripping the coolant in the weirdest freaking place -__-. Hope its fixable or im junking it tired of these hondas and their heating problems ugh

Old 08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

The radiator hoses should have clamps to hold them in place.

Where in the back of the engine is coolant leaking? Driver/passenger side, near the throttle body, behind the intake manifold, etc..?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Supper Moderator

I have ONLY owned hondas my WHOLE life and I’m 23 never yet have had a overheating issue.
Honestly your created the prob. But I’m not here to tell you what you did wrong..lol
Here to help...
Well there is the water pipe that goes from the thermostat to the water pump maybe you cracked it from the heat???...maybe you cracked your block from overheating it. Like I said be4 I have never over heated a engine so I’m kinda guessing to be 100% honest

Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It's cool thanks for trying. Well I recently changed the headgasket since it was blown, not my fault the car was stolen from me and the cops found it on and overheated so kinda messed me up. While i did that I also had to change the radiator, and water pump. So bad history with hondas for me =( but i do love em lol. Anyways I usually change all the parts in my car but this one got me confused seeing as its behind the engine, friend of mine says there are more hoses in the back of the engine anyone know if that's true? looks like a lot of $ to fix seeing its in like the craziest spot...

@PAhonda seems to be under the intake manifold

Last edited by Kreativ3z; 08-12-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Responding to PAhonda
Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The leak is under that thing right behind the engine, no idea wat that is called lol sorry
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0015_large.jpg

not my car to lazy to go outside its hot in miami lol

Old 08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

The long metal piece behind the engine is the intake manifold.

There are some coolant hoses that run to the the throttle body (where the black intake air tube connects to). Check that none of them were detached.

Under the intake manifold, there is a metal pipe that runs from the water pump to the thermostat housing.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Do I need to get under the car to check them out?
Sorry just not used to doing things behind the dumb engine

Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

It may be a pain to get behind the engine, and you will probably not be able to see much. When the engine is cool, reach with your hands to feel around for parts that are wet with coolant. One of those dentist type mirrors would be handy in this instance.

For the throttle body, #19 and #10 have coolant hoses going to it. There is also (I think) a coolant hose above #6 on the throttle body. You don't have to get behind the engine to check them out. You should be able to remove the intake hose, and have enough access to follow the hoses.

Here is an image of the hoses:

As for the metal hose that goes to the thermostat housing, there is an o-ring seal on each end (#26) that could be messed up.

Quick Reply: Overheating =(