General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

P0219 Engine Overspeed Code & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: P0219 Engine Overspeed Code & Warranty

The rev limiter should be active for upshift, and when not in gear, the reason it isnt for downshift is because of the fact that its a manual trany. If your going 80 and shift into second how is the rev limited going to cope with being thrust into 9000 rpm area, it has no choice because thats how the gear ratio is. It will only block you if your accelerating to that point from each upshift. Which is why its important to know what speed your going just before redline at each gear.
hopefully that made sense
The rev limiter doesnt control the brakes for you.

When i drove my friends 2004 4cyl after he drove it 5000 miles and took it to redline through each gear without hitting the rev limiter. I was impressed cause it had enough power to chirp the tires going into second gear. ^_^ He still has his car, he has no problems and it drives like a dream.
So basically he may have not been paying attention and downshifted. Because you cant excede the limiter when out of gear or while upshifting unless the rev limiter wasnt working THEN you could easily excede redline.
And yeuemmaimai, you may be attacking light for making that kind of suggestion, but on this forum we try not to be ****** to people for doing something without thinking. He made a mistake, just shake your head and leave it be, because being an **** isnt going to change his situation much.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:15 AM

I'm sorry but when is it being a to tell someone to do the right thing?

He busted the person's car something that he depends upon and he should make it right...in this case it means repairing or replacing the engine. End of story. What would YOU DO if that was YOUR CAR and your friend did that to you?

We really should not be having a discussion about "what can I do? or "you shoul have the registered owner do XXX" (mentioned by a moderator no less) to try and defraud his insurance company. I find it pathetic that this person took this car for a ride and didn't even respect the car or the owner.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 AM

YeuEmMaiMai,

YOU are out of line!

I tried to be nice initially but it went over your head. It's not what you said, it's the way you said it. You are not the judge and jury here nor is anyone else. You talk down to people sometimes and it appears to me as arrogance .....and apparently to others too. Your help in most matters is appreciated but your self righteous comments are not.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

The rev-limiter will prevent over-revving during an upshift, but not during a mistaken downshift.

I'm not challenging you but I am curious. Any hard data to back this statement up? I would think that Honda is smarter than that but I'd like to know positively.
The rev-limiter will simply cut fuel. It can't put the brakes on, or prevent you from missing a shift. If you're in 3rd at redline, try to shift into 4th, but hit 2nd by mistake... The momentum of the car will carry the engine way past redline even though the rev-limiter cuts the fuel off completely.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:04 PM

HONDA can now void the entire warranty on the car...just something to think about........

Old 06-19-2006, 12:17 PM

[/quote]
The rev-limiter will simply cut fuel. It can't put the brakes on, or prevent you from missing a shift. If you're in 3rd at redline, try to shift into 4th, but hit 2nd by mistake... The momentum of the car will carry the engine way past redline even though the rev-limiter cuts the fuel off completely.[/quote]

Entirely sensible, I don't know what I was thinking! Short of stopping the engine completely it would have to over rev under that condition.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:08 PM

Is the rev limited just a fuel cut or a spark and fuel cut? I knew the general idea behind a rev limited just not how it phsyically acted to prevent over reving. Otherwise i think thats basically what i was saying. lol

yeuemmaimai, i was refering more to how you acted to the person who started the thread. As for how would it be in my situation? yeah, i would be pissed, but the fact of the matter is I would still try to go a route that would minimize the costs, if there were a way to work the system and make it so my friend would only pay my deductible, that would mean that he owed me his immortal soul and become my whipping boy for a few years ^_^

And yeah, honda can void the whole warranty, but the reality of the situation is, he most likely doesnt have the 5000+ dollars to fix the problem. You act like im saying let him get away with it, when in reality im saying dont be jerk cause he already has enough problems in the end.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:23 PM

I hear you,

He disrespected his friend and his friends car... He should own up to it and at the very least say something like

"Hey guys I screwed up my friends car and I want to uderstand why the Honda dealer is saying what he is saying"

instead of

"I am contending that I didn't do this"

As for the Mod stating that he should defraud the owner's insurance company. ABSOLUTLY he should be called out and harsly at that. That is just plain irresponsible and makes this site look bad.

That engine is most likely in the $7-8K range for replacement. If it was ME I would demand a new engine because even if the bottom end is fine now, it won't be later.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:12 PM

The only overspeed code i've seen in person (i think that's what it was) was in a s2000. It came in with freeze data showing 11,000+ rpm and had a bunch of fubared valves. The guys up at the acura store have had a number of rsx typeS, same way. Seem the 6-speeds are real easy to mis-shift. Honda doesn't give us much information on the code, but it seems the engine has to be forced significantly past the rev limiter to code.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:26 PM

Or you could rebuild the engine, which would be cheaper.

Quick Reply: P0219 Engine Overspeed Code & Warranty