General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0341 Code 2005 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default P0341 Code 2005 Accord

I have a 2005 Accord 2.4L automatic with 180K miles that runs fine. In the last 3 years I've changed the battery, starter, and variable timing solenoid. I change the oil between 5 and 9K miles. It does use about a quart every oil change.

Check Engine Light came on and I went to Autozone to get code - P0341 - cam position sensors CMP/CKP or poor electrical connections. The car runs fine and there are no noises during start up, idling, or driving. I tried clearing the code but it comes back on within 5 seconds after I start the car.

I've been reading through the P0341 issues and hope its not the timing chain/tensioner. How do I check these sensors and where are they located? Can I check the timing marks and timing chain if I remove the the valve cover?

Thanks in advance - Lon

Last edited by staged206k; 12-30-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

The P0341 means the cam and crank signals are not timed properly. If you had a failing sensor, you should get another code for the specific sensor.

I'd recommend not driving the car till you figure out the issue. I believe there is an access panel in the timing chain cover near the crank pulley. If the tensioner rod is extended over 0.5 inches then you have a loose timing chain and need to replace the chain/tensioners. The measurement of the rod is from the base of the tensioner body to the bottom of the flat surface where the rod pushes the tensioner arm.

I'd also recommend purchasing the shop manual as a pdf from automanualsource.com. It is $22 and worth the investment.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks PAhonda. I think I see an inspection cover down by the crank pulley. It looks like I wouldn't be able to see anything even if I get the cover off. Maybe you can see something from under the car with the tire off. Engine is still in the car running fine.

Only one code - P0341. I have a feeling the chain did stretch some causing this code but it runs smooth right now. The timing chain jobs looks like it will be a tough one, about 7- 8 hrs and in a very tight area. I should get a manual and will check out your link. I'm going to do some more investigation as the car runs fine. I just changed the oil to see if it will help.

Are these CMP/CKP cam position sensors under the valve cover? My wife told me that someone told her that they are under the head. I don't believe that. I've also read that low voltage can cause unexpected codes. I checked my battery to be at 12.6 volts and it starts fine. Could the starter or battery (both bought from Autozone) be causing low voltage surges during start up?

Any help is appreciated. - Lon

Last edited by staged206k; 12-30-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

99.9% of the time the 0341 code come around......the chain is done. Don't worry or waste time with the sensors, they are fine. The 0341 is the "phase", so the sensors are working fine and they are telling you that the chain it not "in time".

As TX said, LIMITED driving of the car should be done until the issue is resolved. I can't tell you how many times people put this off only to have the chain jump time and cause valve damage....yes if you "farm it out" it is a ~$1,500 repair but if you ignore it is becomes much more expensive.....Just my two cents.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks poorman212, I appreciate your 2 cents. Everything I'm reading does point to the tensioner and replacing the timing chain. I just can't get over the fact that it is running fine.

I'm looking into parts for the job now - timing chain, tensioner, 3 guide rails, and some Hondabond/Grey Permatex. Is that all I need? No other gaskets? Also renting that crank bolt holder from Autozone.

I can't afford to farm the job out so I will be doing the work myself. I did a timing belt change with a water pump/oil seals on a 1995 Accord 2.2L almost 10 years ago and it wasn't hard just took some time. The 2005 might be a little harder due to how tight everything is....

Any additional comments are appreciated - thanks - Lon

Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have a service manual for the car? For ~$27 you can get a very good one that will be handy for this job and other things in the future. There might be some "free online" ones floating around, I've used "automanualsource.com" to purchase a few.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I do not have a manual for the 2005. I got one for my old 2001 though. I'm looking into getting the manual from automanualsource.com. It sounds pretty decent for the price. Why isn't the 2007 listed on their site?

and this video looks good (even though its a civic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQSn...ature=youtu.be

Let me know if I need to order more parts?

Lon

Old 12-31-2016, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

One of the sticky pts for this job is cleaning engine face and cover before adding hondabond to cover (?), I have seen a recommendation to add the RTV to block side to prevent smearing during installation. Also there is apparently a 5 min time limit to apply the hondabond and install the timing chain cover. This amount of time seems very challenging to me. Make sure all areas are covered!

good luck

Old 12-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Agree with TexasHonda about cleaning/installing the cover with Hondabond. There are the scotch no-scratch pads that may help clean the surfaces. A very fine sandpaper (like 1000 or 2000 grit on a flat block) may help with cleanup.

Before removing the valve cover, I'd start by getting the engine to top dead center, then remove the crank pulley bolt next. Removing the crank pulley bolt is the hardest step in my opinion and should be done first.

The new chain has some different colored links for the cam and crank sprockets and marks on the sprockets, so it helps with installation. I'd also mark the old chain where it meets the sprockets with marks using whiteout. Also make sure the marks on the cam/crank sprockets are there, if not, use white out. I'd just count the links between the marks on the old and new chain for peace of mind.

You may also consider replacing the chain/tensioner for the oil pump, but you'd have to remove the oil pan to access. Not sure if this is necessary.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, this all great information. I remember the crank bolt being tough on the 1995.

On the youtube video it shows the getting new VTC Solenoid O-ring part# 91333-pna-003 and Chain Case O-ring part# 91302-pna-003. Do I need to get these o-rings?

Happy New Year

Quick Reply: P0341 Code 2005 Accord