General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p2646 after new solenoid honda/acccord/2007/2.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Problem Solved (hopefully).

Good Morning to all reading about this site referring to DTC P2646. Rest easy, I have finally cured the issue and the DTC P2646 has not returned on my son's 07 Accord EXL. It took several days of trial and error and a few trips to the store. Initially when I started researching how to tackle the P2646 Code I first went a little overboard and ordered an entirely new Genuine Honda Rocker Arm Oil Control Solenoid Assembly Unit with gasket and filter screen. The oil filter screen on the old unit was clogged 100%. After that I cleaned and tested the old assembly unit and found it to still be operating good (both the solenoid valve and the oil pressure sending unit). So all I really needed was a new gasket with the filter screen there. I then proceeded to remove and replace the VTC gasket with filter screen on the front passenger side of the cylinder head. The old filter was also 100% clogged. Lastly, I removed and did a thorough cleaning of the VTC Oil Control Solenoid Assembly Unit which can be found on the side of the cylinder head (passenger side). This assembly unit has three fine mesh screen filters on it and though two we found to be clean, one was very much clogged with debris.After reinstalling the VTC Oil Control Solenoid, I then did a complete oil and filter change using Mobil One High Mileage 5W-20 and a NAPA Gold Oil Filter (manufactured by WIX) I reset the DTC P2646 code and also did a ECU reset by removing the ECU fuses for a period of 10 minutes, reinstalling the fuses and then idling the car for another 5 minutes. So far so good and my son has been driving the car for 2.5 weeks without the DTC showing up again.

I have learned several good lessons from this event the main one of which is to discontinue my choice of oil filters. For the 53 years I have been driving and changing my own oil and filters, I have been using FRAM oil filters. I am now going to begin using a much better and refined oil filter. I was able to save some of the debris that I found in the fine mesh filter screens of the units I mentioned above and decided to put it under a microscope I have at home from the past. The debris much to my disbelief was primarily made up of paper fibers. I am assuming that they had to have come from the FRAM filter paper media.