General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

paint advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Default paint advice

Well, I've done a search and haven't come up with much so I guess I'll go ahead and ask. All you guys who have experience painting your cars this one's for you. I bought this '96 EX Coupe from a neighbor up the street for 1800 bucks. The engine runs smooth and strong... no smoke at all and the only leak I have at the moment is from the passenger side tranny axle seal which I will be replacing soon. I mainly bought the car as a project car. I feel like it has a LOT of potential, especially for the price I paid, but I want to do most of the work to it myself (I had someone else perform the timing belt service and valve adjustment). The majority of the problems are/were cosmetic, and most all of them I have fixed thus far except for the paint. The hood, tops of the front quarter panels, and front bumper are all peeling clear coat. I already have a gravity fed paint gun and air compressor, and I know I will need to sand down these areas to get them smooth and then re-prime them (there are a couple rock dings with some slight surface rust), but I was looking for any advice I can find regarding the brand/type of paint to use when re-applying. This will be my first automotive paint job and I'm excited about finally having the opportunity to do this. Any advice with any of this will be appreciated... if there is anything at all I need to be aware of when doing this just let me know.

Thanks,
Nathan

Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Default RE: paint advice

I personally haven't painted any vehicles so I can't give you any ideas on what paint to use... I've done a fair amount of talking with a good friend of mine who restores jaguars for a living and can tell you that one of the most inportant things to remember is that if you get any dirt/dust on the car it's going to screw up your paint. tiny, nearly microscopic specs of dust on the car can hose your paint job... Make sure before you being to clean the surface very well, I'd suggest bondo on the dimples, dents, and dings... if you have a garage then clean the floor very well, wash the floor with water (water holds in/down dust particles...) next, hang up some plastic sheeting all around the vehicle (floor to ceiling), get a resperator and go for it.