General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passive Start/immobilizer issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Default Passive Start/immobilizer issue

hey guys, I've been searching all over and I keep coming up short. My boss gave me a 2001 Honda Accord because he was tired of messing with it. Here's the issue.
crank no start. The car has a magic start security system that has a passive start fob. I put the fob up to the sensor and get the beeps that indicate it's ready to start. However the green key is flashing on the dash. I have he brake code but it seems I have yet to be victorious at inputting it. I've got to the point where after putting the 4th digit in the green key box stays on... key on, brake the number in code, key off repeat... what am I missing here? Is there a simply way to removed this magic start system and work with just the factory stuff? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

I would try removing that unit to see if you can get it to start. You'll probably have to find an installation guide to see how it was spliced in there. It should be pretty obvious.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The best thing you can do for yourself and the vehicle is to remove the remote starter. It would eliminate a point of failure and helps you to focus on just the car issue.

It is not a difficult task to de-install one.
1. Disconnect your battery by loosen and remove your negative post.
2. Locate the hidden brain or the main unit of the remote starter. It is usually hidden above the footwell area on the drive side.
3. Trace all the wires from the brain to each location and disconnect it. For most wires, you should be able to cut it off from the intercepted point then cover its wound well with a piece of electrical tape. These wires can be simply wired and taped, pinned and taped, or soldered and taped.
4. The most important wires are the Ignition wire, start wire, and accessory wire which are usually intercepted at the steering wheel column harness. These wires are usually big wires (probably ranging 10-14 gauge wires), and the start and ignition wires are likely being cut and each end would be soldered to the wires of the brain unit. Just simply heat the soldering points up with your solder iron until they melt and separate them apart. After separating from the wires of the brain, you can reconnect the start and ignition wires (identified by the color code) with your solder iron. Note: Ignition wire may or may not be cut. But, your start wire is sure being cut. Be sure to cover them up well with electrical tape afterward.
5. When done, reconnect your battery and try to start the car.

So, it is a simple process. Trace, Remove, and Reconnect.

Last edited by Celicool; 06-21-2017 at 11:58 AM.