General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PGM-FI Main Relay question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Default PGM-FI Main Relay question

Good afternoon. I've read all the sticky posts, checked out an invaluable link to an outside sight, but I still have one more question:

I have a 91 Accord EX with 178k, a rebuilt engine put in 20k ago. The car starts fine when cold, but after running, it is difficult to get going at all while still hot.

From everything I've read, this is a Main Relay problem, and I have the directions to change that. I went to buy the part, and found out that there were two options: a main relay, and a power relay. THe first was $60, the second $30. Which one needs replacing? Secondly, can a novice do this job with good enough instructions?

My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere; i didn't find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: PGM-FI Main Relay question

Changing relays is pretty simple, once you find it. Here is link with the location: http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelaydefine.php

Are you sure that it is the MFR? The MFR fails when the cabin is very hot. From your description, it sounds like you are talking about problems when the engine is hot.

If you are sure that it is the MFR, the $60 part sounds like it is about the right price for a new one.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:07 PM

PAhonda is right, it doesn't sound like you have the main relay problem.
The next time it doesn't want to start, check the spark. Disconnect the coil wire from the distributor and hold it close to the engine block (about 1/16" away, and don't get yourself between it and chassis or you'll regret it!). While someone cranks it, you should see good spark. If you don't, it's probably the coil or ignition module. When the relay is bad, you will still have spark, but no fuel and no start.
If you feel like blowing $60, then go for it, and it probably needed changing anyway. I just hate to shotgun parts that you don't know for sure are dead. My MFR was on its way out, but I was able to desolder and resolder it easily. Getting it out from under the dash wasn't too hard. You'll need to remove the cruise control module first to make life much easier. That's all in the directions provided by PAhonda.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

whoa, wait, hang on a second; engine hot and carinterior hot are 2 different animals.
Try this; turn on the key ...wait for the Check Engine Light to go off, then crank the engine. be very consistant, and repost if this changes your situation.
It might also be worth the time to pull the vacum line off the fuel pressure regulator and check for raw gas in the line.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:52 PM

If you find that it is the main relay, just look on ebay for a cheap alternative to the parts store... i actually did this earlier this week and have not had trouble since... BTW i paid only $30 total for the part and shipping on ebay...

Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 AM

I've been told that horses can tell when an inexperienced rider is in the saddle. They will try things that would normally get them in trouble, because they can get away with it.

That must be the case with cars, too, because since I read the replies, the car is behaving. The tip from hondadude seems to help.

Thank you all for taking the time to lend me a helping hand. I'm still working on the other things that were recommended.