General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Place online for 93 Accord TCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Default Place online for 93 Accord TCM

I have my car at a Honda garage trying to figure out my D4 problem. I feel it will be the TCM. Where is a reliable/secure/cheap (not to cheap) place online to get a rebuilt TCM? I will probably do it myself if they charge me too much.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Supper Moderator

you don't want to use another TCM for your auto trans b/c your original TCM is mated to your trans getting another of from a another accord can cause further probs. I donno why everyone thinks TCM are always bad 99.9% of the time it's something else.. I doubt your TCM is bad check your codes then see to see what is going on.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe you could get the CODE before throwing parts at the problem;
Trans flash codes

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=32718

Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM

You all dont have to be so rude, was planning ahead, just in case the garage says that the tcm is bad.

g22cd5 - people change tcms all the time, it is a problem when one of the internals goes bad. Because yours hasnt gone bad is good I guess, I have a problems and was looking for advice not a put down.

hondadude - I did jump the connector and no flash codes. I didnt sayI was gonna throw parts at it to try to fix without finding out the problem. I am a mechanic just am not good at electric problems.

Didnt your mother ever teach you "If you have nothing nice to say dont say anyhting so u dont look like a rude iggnorant person"

I was looking for advice before.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone should calm down.

Hondadude can be a bit brash. He did give you good advice, so you don't waste money.

Did the check engine light turn on and stay turned on (or flash codes) when you shorted that connector? Just want to make sure that you actually shorted that connector.

If you find the TCU is bad, the cheapest fix would be to repair what is bad in the TCU. This site mentions some common problems on the 90-92 TCU. If you know how to solder, it may be worth a shot. Just scroll down past the overview to see the common resistors, etc that can go bad. techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html

The cheapest source for parts are junkyards or Ebay. www.car-part.com will search for TCUs by distance at junkyards that subscribe to that service. You want to make sure that your replacement TCU has the same OEM part number as your original. The EX TCU has a different part number than and LX/DX.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
you don't want to use another TCM for your auto trans b/c your original TCM is mated to your trans getting another of from a another accord can cause further probs. I donno why everyone thinks TCM are always bad 99.9% of the time it's something else.. I doubt your TCM is bad check your codes then see to see what is going on.
I dont know who gave you that information, but please go slap them. You can use any TCU from 90-95 and the transmissions will shift fine. They wont cause problems, but if you put a 92-95 TCU in a 90-91, you will lose the sport mode, but who really NEEDS it anyway? These TCU's crap out all the time and cause a majority of the problems with these transmissions such as starting off in 2nd gear, no D4 light, flashing D4 light, and no o/d.

Any time I run across a bad TCU, I take it to the local tv repair shop and he replaces the "bled out" capacitor and a resistor or 2 if needed. He charges me 30 bucks and turn around time is about 2 days. Its alot better than paying the $150 for a rebuilt one on fleabay and you have someone local that can guarantee their work.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

**** Wagon,

Thanks for the info on what TCUs can be used.

I always try to play it safe by using identical OEM part numbers, so there are no surprises.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Supper Moderator

I never said they can’t be used..I said it's not the best of idea sine the TCU and the trans is mate for each other. Ever swapped another OEM ecu to another engine??...you will notice if you put it on a dyno that you will lose power until the ECU relearns the a/f ratio. Well TCU is the same thing except they don't relearn the shift patterns from the trans ware. So again I didn't say you CAN"T use them I said YOU DON”T WAN TO since they are mated for each other. B/c the TCU that was on (A) tranny might have been in better or worse shape than (B) tranny.You don’t know the driving patterns of the person who owned the TCU be4 you. So you can really sacrifice performance and trans life. So NO you don’t want to use another TCU from another trans it’s not a smart idea unless you don’t care about the trans life span. You need to read what I said be4 attacking someone.