General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Plastic Bumper Damaged - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Plastic Bumper Damaged - HELP

ORIGINAL: Accord Owner

ORIGINAL: live2rice

ORIGINAL: live2rice

I ran over some garbage on the street and was unable to avoid it...so the plastic from the front of the car bumper got damaged, its near the wheels. but its the whole bumper, its almost cut in half.

Should I call my insurance company?
My friend works on fixing stuff like this? Or should I just buy the parts and let him fix it?
it can be quite costly to buy a whole new front bumper and have it painted, I would either live with the damage, or try and repair the one that is already on their.

As for the insurance claim, it really depends on your coverage, if you are say 16 and only have liability then dont bother cause they wont give you a dime, but your rates will skyrocket.
What do you mean 16? I have full coverage, comprehensive and collision coverage. both $500 deductible.
i meant 16 years old.

paint can be pretty expensive to have a auto body do it. If you are not a perfectionist i would have napa color match some paint for you and paint it yourself.

my friend did this to his front bumper and you cant even tell.
Well I am taking it to a body shop. If it costs me over $500 then I should be covered right with my insurance company? I am 29 and have a good term long relationship with my Insurance company with a flawless record.
Flawlees record is Now Flawless...only for awhile it lasted!
WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-25-2007, 06:16 PM

check out Certi-Fit i got both fenders, hood, front bumper , and a Head light assembly. for $180. OEM parts, but they come in primer black. and it was next day deliver. but i live in tucson, and there in phoenix.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Used parts is the way to go, but painting to match will cost at least $200-$300. You should be able to repair for less than your $500 deductible w/ patience.

If you're really cheap (that's me), get a plastic welder, remove the bumper and weld the cracks closed. A little body filler, primer, and touchup paint and you're looking gooood!,...if you're not too particular. I sometimes forget to shave for a day or so, and my wife reminds me.

good luck

Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

Used parts is the way to go, but painting to match will cost at least $200-$300. You should be able to repair for less than your $500 deductible w/ patience.

If you're really cheap (that's me), get a plastic welder, remove the bumper and weld the cracks closed. A little body filler, primer, and touchup paint and you're looking gooood!,...if you're not too particular. I sometimes forget to shave for a day or so, and my wife reminds me.

good luck
Well my friend who works on my car knows a well known Auto Collision guy who owns a shop and he said he can work something work under $500. I just need the Front Bumper thats all. But there is a slight damage underneath but then he has to look at my car to see what work needs to done. Do you think they can 100% match the color of my car without anyone knowing it was ever repairs or painted?

I mean if I am going to pay less then $500 which is my deductible then I have no reason to call my insurance company right?

I just bought this car little over 3 months ago. It is a 2005. So I do not want any cheap parts. Everything has to original at its original state.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a piece of ice fly off a vehicle in front of me, on the highway, last winter. Initially, I thought it was no big issue, however, when I was able to pull over, I had a huge, gaping hole through my bumper cover. I had my local dealer replace it; they used a boneyard bumper cover and it still cost ~$600. I opted to use my insurance, and ate my $250 deductible. Just my 2 cents...

Rob C
2003 Accord LX, 4-cyl, AT

Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Robcie

I had a piece of ice fly off a vehicle in front of me, on the highway, last winter. Initially, I thought it was no big issue, however, when I was able to pull over, I had a huge, gaping hole through my bumper cover. I had my local dealer replace it; they used a boneyard bumper cover and it still cost ~$600. I opted to use my insurance, and ate my $250 deductible. Just my 2 cents...

Rob C
2003 Accord LX, 4-cyl, AT
For my Honda, the Part is $97 but there is a slight damage underneath bumper that has to be looked at. My deductible is $500 though. So what is not covered by the policy?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Matching color should not be a problem if correctly painted.

good luck

Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM

I worked out a deal at the body shop.

Normally he charges his customers around $1,500 but for me it is going to be $486 since I am like a family guy. This is close to my deductible and also I don't have to call my insurance company.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:09 PM

if they take the bumper off, they will know its not original cause of the vin sticker they place on them from the factory. even if its bought from honda it wont have your vin on it. but they can color match. most good body shops have the color codes. good luck

Old 10-27-2007, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: BRIVOLBN7Q

if they take the bumper off, they will know its not original cause of the vin sticker they place on them from the factory. even if its bought from honda it wont have your vin on it. but they can color match. most good body shops have the color codes. good luck
The front bumper do not have the VIN sticker? You sure about that? any way to transfer the VIN to the new one?
This means I will lose resale value? What about the title of my car?

Quick Reply: Plastic Bumper Damaged - HELP