General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, 06 Accord dome light problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Default Please help, 06 Accord dome light problem

Hi. I am new to this forum trying to find some help with a problem I am having with my newly purchased 2006 Honda Accord 4-dr. I am hoping this is a simple problem and I know nothing about cars so its probably something I will feel stuipid not being able to figure out, but I am asking for help. My dome light up front does not come on when I open the doors. Now it does have the sliding switch to set from 'door' to off... and yes it is set to "door" like it should be, but when any door is opened the lights do not come on like they should. (The back light works fine) When you press either light (there are two, driver and passenger) they light up just fine so the bulbs are not burnt out... but they will not come on when the doors open like they should... Could the switch be bad maybe? or is there something else I am not thinking about... Thanks in advance on any help you can give me.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Hi, just wondering if you ever found the fix for your problem. I'm having the same problem with my '04.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

(Not sure why I didn't notice jkalathas post back in august...)

I don't have the 2003 Accord any more, but I recall those "map lights" don't come on with the door. Only the rear one comes on. But I'm not sure I remember that correctly.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 AM

no, I have yet to figure out what the problem is... if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Exclamation Map Light issue 2006 Accord SE pkg

Originally Posted by jkalathas
no, I have yet to figure out what the problem is... if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Hello. I have a 2006 Accord SE pkg. The dome light burned out. I finally replaced the bulb in it for my wife about a month later. She swears up and down that the map lights use to activate with the dome light at the same time with the switch in the center position. Can you please confirm for me if you ever solved your map light issue? Also what pkg do you have EX,LX,SE,VP? I have read through the users manual, the map lights on the EX and up models have a switch to set it for door activation. So going off what my wife says it would be automatic and not a user selectable option for our SE. I also read on another forum what you might be experiencing is a ground fault error. Maybe me too.
Here is a link. Dome light problem - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

I have an appt scheduled to see the dealer on Wed, but it's $100 to diagnose problems... definitely not under warranty...

Any ideas?
Thank you anyone for assistance!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 PM

(FYI - first time posting - if I do this wrong, I am sorry)

Has anyone found an answer for this problem?

I have an 04 Accord LX - I have had the same issue for quite sometime. At first the passenger side front dome light would not come on when the door was opened, but the drivers side would. Now neither come on when the door is opened, however the rear dome light does. On the LX model the switch for the front is either Door or Off - mine is in the Door position. When you push on the lense, it does turn on the respective map light.

I have seen that there may be some sort of bad connection issue, but I can't seem to figure that out. I have taken the entire console out of the roof, and nothing looks bad, but I couldn't figure out how to take the bulb brackets apart.

I believe this issue started within a year or so of driving the car of the dealership lot, brand new. At one point the dealership looked at it, and from my recollection, giggled the wires and they said it was fine. I didn't think that was a good solution, seeing as how both sides are now not working.

Any further information would be great.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to see if there is any information in the owner's manual. You may want to turn on the map light(s) when the key is removed and the door is opened. Then see if the map lights work properly. I sort of remember having a similar problem with my TSX and took me a bit to figure out what was going on.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:19 AM

Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but I came across it looking for help, so I thought others might also.

I have a 2003 EX-L coupe with a garage door opener module in the dome assembly. When my doors were open, the dome lights would work by pushing. When the doors were closed, they would not work at all.

When I popped off the passenger-side front dome light, there is a screw holding it in (either Phillips or 8mm). This screw provides the ground for my light assembly. When I removed it, I found that it was all rusted. The contact on the assembly was fine and of course the frame was fine, but the screw itself was fairly oxidized. I didn’t have steel wool on me at the moment, so I just scratched away some of the rust on the underside of the washer (that makes contact with the assembly ground), and my lights are working as expected for the door and on their own.

Probably better to just replace the screw, which I might do, but this is good for an additional debug step before buying hardware.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:17 AM

I have 2006 Honda Accord 4-dr. 6 cyl. My dome light up front does not come on when I open the doors.

However when you press either light (there are two, driver and passenger) they light up just fine so the bulbs are not burnt out... but they will not come on when the doors open like they should...

I had my mechanic try to repair it. He says that the switch definitely shorted out.

He tried to find a replacement switch. Was informed the part was discontinued.

Anyone know where I can purchase this part?

Old 01-05-2022, 12:07 AM

I’d find your nearest junkyard. The part is easy to pull, and it would only cost $10 max.

Or you could eBay overhead assembly for 2006 accord (matching years 2003 - 2007).

Originally Posted by joe44601
I have 2006 Honda Accord 4-dr. 6 cyl. My dome light up front does not come on when I open the doors.

However when you press either light (there are two, driver and passenger) they light up just fine so the bulbs are not burnt out... but they will not come on when the doors open like they should...

I had my mechanic try to repair it. He says that the switch definitely shorted out.

He tried to find a replacement switch. Was informed the part was discontinued.

Anyone know where I can purchase this part?

Quick Reply: Please help, 06 Accord dome light problem