General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! 95 Accord Will Not Start! Lots of Info to Digest!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Please Help! 95 Accord Will Not Start! Lots of Info to Digest!

Recently I've updated all of you with the problems of my 1995 automatic Accord. It's probably time to get rid of the thing since it keeps giving me such fits, but I've run into a newer problem.

The most recent issue I had was that the car was feeling pretty sluggish. I took it to a Honda tech, who drove the car. While he was driving it, the alternator belt (Under warranty) broke. He replaced it for free. Before he replaced that, he thought it was the timing belt, so he took off the valve cover, broke a gasket in the process and had to replace that for free. He flooded the plugs and wires with oil in the process and since I figured the car may just need a tuneup anyway, I asked him to just give me new plugs and wires.

I got the car back on Tuesday night. Popped the hood and saw that he had left the old plug wires sitting just behind the engine. I took them out and drove home with no problems. Car felt fine.

The next day I got a call from the shop telling me the mechanic said he had forgotten to put a bolt in (Didn't say where) and for me to drop by for 5 minutes when I could so he could put it in.

I took it by Thursday morning, he did his thing, and I drove to work and back home later that night with no problem.

Friday morning when I drove into work, I noticed it seemed to be running a little sluggish again and when I would get to speeds in excess of 60, the car seemed to be stuck in a lower gear. (I.E. When I was up to 65, I would remove my foot from the gas pedal and the RPM would drop a bunch. Usually when I'm at 65, the RPM seems to "cruise" and come steadily down when I take my foot off. This felt like it was trying to reach another gear at 65)

So I parked my car, no issues other than what I encountered on the drive in. I had to stay the night at the office last night and didn't touch my car. This morning I woke up to take it for a drive and get some breakfast before my shift began again and the car will not start. Battery is at full strength, when I turn the key the dash lights come on like normal, but as I'm turning it, I get absolutely nothing. AC, radio, etc. still come on and I hear the fuel pump making it's whirring sound, but I hear no other noises and I'm getting no other reaction from the car. Does not appear to be electrical.

So what's the deal here? Anyone know what the diagnosis might be? Did some part of my car just die, or did I possibly run into a bad mechanic who messed up my vehicle purposely? I've taken it to that shop for a year now and had a great mechanic who's always done great with my car, but this was his first week away and I was dealing with a new tech.

I only wonder if it was on purpose since he broke a gasket, left the plug wires in and then told me to bring it in so he could put in a bolt and the car then started driving a little funny and is now dead.

So what's the diagnosis? Please help. Don't have much money saved up right now and can't afford to be without a vehicle.

Thank you!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My recommendation would be to find a new mechanic. Your current mechanic is too interested in shoving work out the door, or too busy to do a good job.

Based on what you've said, suggest first checking the battery connections. He may have left battery cable loose!

If battery positive and negative cables are clean and secure, check for 12V to the starter solenoid signal wire (blk/wht).

If you have no 12v signal when keyswitch is turned to Start, the ignition keyswitch assy is bad.

If you have 12V, then starter solenoid is bad (assuming it's not even clicking). New starter indicated.

good luck

Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I called a mechanic friend of mine and he had me tap the starter while someone turned the key and it fired right up.

So he said that meant my starter was bad.

Anyone have a clue how much the part + labor will run? Thank you, guys!