General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

please help heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default please help heat problem

i have a 94 honda accord. the car will heat up like normal but after i turn on the heat the heat gauge will go down i can literally watch it go all the way back down to cold. sometimes the heat will only get a little cold other times it will get completely freezing what's going on with twenty degree nights i need heat lol please help

Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

I would replace the thermostat and while you are at it, replace the coolant. Get the thermostat from the honda dealership, because it will open at the proper temperature and last for a long time.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would replace the thermostat and while you are at it, replace the coolant. Get the thermostat from the honda dealership, because it will open at the proper temperature and last for a long time.
^ T-stat stuck open Be sure to bleed the air out of the cooling system after replacing....Honda's don't like trapped air in the cooling system.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok ill go get a thermostat can a get one from any accord or does it have to be a specific year because i have all kinds of junk yards i can get one from.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Get a new one. If you don't get it from the dealer, at least get one from your local parts store,,,,aftermarket ~$10 and worth every penny....dealer ~$20 (check me), still worth every penny....I'm poor (really) and I would not even try a junk yard t-stat.....

Old 12-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I have had faulty new aftermarket t-stats in the past. If you go that route, you may wish to test it in boiling water prior to installing it. My factory Honda t-stat was $21.68 from Honda dealership. You can find the Stant aftermarket at about any autoparts store...About $9.50.

Last edited by bigpat; 12-11-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

would a dealer even still have a t-stat for a 1994 accord seems old for a dealership and also what is the boiling trick and where is my t-stat located? thank you

Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by tedmar
would a dealer even still have a t-stat for a 1994 accord seems old for a dealership and also what is the boiling trick and where is my t-stat located? thank you
Yes, the Honda dealer will have your t-stat...They had mine for my 1993 LX. It is a fairly universal part, but with a variety of heat ranges. In California, I was told that the 190 degree t-stat is what was recommended. To test the part, boil a pot of water and drop in the new t-stat. It should open faily quickly. If not, then the t-stat is bad/defective.
To find it on your car, follow the top radiator hose to the front of the engine block. The hose will be mounted to a round shaped aluminum housing that is secured with 2 bolts. That is the t-stat housing, and will need to be removed to access the part. I would get the service manual for this or look for complete directions here in the DIY section. You will need to drain the coolant, replace the t-stat and gasket, refill the coolant and bleed the air out correctly.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Follow the lower radiator hose, to the thermostat housing on the engine block.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Follow the lower radiator hose, to the thermostat housing on the engine block.
Good catch my friend.......yes, on almost anything 4th gen and up, follow the lower hose. Now if this was a 3rd gen (86-89), but that is a different story.

Quick Reply: please help heat problem