General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Question Please help! Lol

Hey there all, New to the forum and I am in dire need of some help... I have a 2005 Accord LX SE 2.3 liter V-Tech engine. I was recently involved in a minor accident in which I was completely stopped and struck in the drivers side headlamp and the car continued to move forward through the quarter panel ripping the bumper off in the process. I picked up the car from the garage today looking but not performing the way it was prior to the accident or repairs.

The Malfunction light came on about 2 minutes after I pulled out of the parking lot and a few seconds later the car hesitated briefly before driving normally again. When I got home I checked the oil and I was VERY low, which is odd as I am just now due for an oil change. While driving to Pep Boys the cars performance seemed to get worse and worse, it seems to hesitate and almost jump until i take my foot off the gas when changing gears, however its an occasional thing happening mostly when car hits around 3000 rpms. I got a quart of oil (Penzoil 5W-20). I added that in the parking lot and drove home. At first the car was performing like normal (light still on) but after about 10 minutes or so the hesitation happened again.

I plan to head back to the garage who did the repairs tomorrow to see what they think or if the accident or repairs could have jarred something loose. Then I plan to go to AutoZone to see if they can tell me what code is causing the Malfunction Indicator to go off.

I have several questions/concerns:
1. Is it possible this is lingering from accident or repairs?
2. Is this a transmission issue (fluid/slipping etc.)?
3. Could the hesitation and jumping feeling be caused by low amounts of oil?
4. Should I get another quart or 2 of oil?
5. Is this a common problem for this particular model?

Thanks All!!! I really appreciate any help and I hope I've provided enough info.

Jay

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Couple question to start off...
Where are you located? USA 2005 Accord has 2.4 liter enigne (not 2.3), so outside of USA the question becomes which side is the driver's side?

1 - Sure seems to ME that this is from the collision. Did you take it to a body-shop for repairs? My favorite body shop for metal & paint, they aren't always the best for mechanical & especially computer/ECU/sensor repair.

2 - Manual trans or automatic?

3 - Yes, if the oil is VERY low. Does the tach drop when this is happening, like an engine problem? Or if (for example) the auto-trans is slipping then the tach would jump high during the event?

4 - Sure can't hurt to carry a few quarts around just in case. It REALLY CAN hurt to let it run low on oil especially if you have to drive some distance to buy oil.

5 - I've heard of auto-trans problems but they seem to be 1998-2002 cars, especially the V-6.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM

OK sorry yes it is 2.4 and I am in the US. I took it back to the garage today and got the scan done and the code is P2646. Something about the armblock in the oil pan.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Automatic engine btw, they said it had nothing to do with the accident and they wished it did so they could charge my insurance company for it.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

That is a problem with the oil pressure switch low voltage. Is your oil level low? Does the oil pressure light turn on while driving?

What part of the car got hit and what parts were replaced?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

P2646 = rocker-arm oil pressure switch (VTEC oil pressure switch) low voltage.

That switch is #12 in this picture. Look for dirty/loose/corroded electrical connection.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, you can unbolt the spool valve (doesn't have its own # but it's inside the box marked #4). Look for sludge & clean it all up. Get a new gasket #5 because it's got a mesh screen.