General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help my 87 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:51 PM
Default Please help my 87 hatch

I just bought an 87 accord hatchback Lx-I a few days ago. When I bought it the running lights and license plate light didn't work as well as the dash and interior lights. I replaced all the fuses and my running lights came back on but my dash lights and interior lights are yet to work. On top of that my battery keeps dying on me, even though it's a new battery. After 30 minute of driving my battery light will come on and the car will stutter and die. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Old 08-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have two electrical issues. 1. Dying battery and 2. Dash lights.

Use a volt meter on the battery (after you charge it) and verify you have ~12.6 volts. Start the engine and the battery should read about 14 volts. Inspect all ends of both battery cables for good connections. Also inspect the wiring at the alternator.

For the dash/interior lights, you will have to do some electrical testing to figure out why they aren't working. Although you replaced the fuses, you will need to use a volt meter or a test light to verify the fuses are getting power on both posts. On both sides of the amp rating number on top of the fuse, you will see a metal tab. Put your positive volt meter lead on that tab and the negative volt meter lead on a good ground (any bare metal will work). Both tabs on the fuses should have 12V with the ignition key turned to the II position.