General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible timing belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Default Possible timing belt issue

I have a 2001 Honda accord with 175k miles on it. About 2 months ago, I was driving and lost all power to my acceleration, I didn't know what to do and kept my foot on the gas and got power back 3-5 seconds later, I felt it was weird but it didn't happen again so I didn't worry about it. about a week later, it happened again, and this time it happened every couple miles, I would lose power then regain power, (the car behind me got pissed cuz he probably thought I was playing with him), so I turned off the road, turned off my engine and when I turned it back on it worked fine. Now, it is constant, what happens is if i'm in 1st gear, and I dont' shift to 2nd fast enough, I completely lose power (faster then I normally would if everything was fine), same for 2nd-3rd 3rd-4th and so on, by the time I get to 5th it will lose power every 2-3 miles, and I literally turn off the engine while driving and then reengage and I get power back. (dangerous I know). Now there is an awful rattling sound coming from the engine. I had a friend who knows more about cars then I do and he said its the timing belt, but I thought the timing belt only needs to be replaced on a V6 not a V4.

Mixed in with the power issue is the radio which is intermittent, it will be working just fine, and then BOOM!!!! it stops working, the speakers seem to work fine, the buttons are fine, I can change channels, displays normal, but no sound. I believe it is related.

I should point out that I'm an army sniper and thought I was a pretty cool guy till I realized I know NOTHING about cars, makes one feel very unmanly.

Should I pay for the computer diagnostic test? is it worth it to fix it? I would very much like to have it running for at least another year as I just bought a house and don't really want to buy a new car at this point.

Thanks for listening

Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

first, thankyou for your service to the country. now, in your post you have the year of the car as 2001, but in your signature, it's 2003. if it's an 03, then no timing belt. next, is the check engine light on or has it come on when this is happening? if so, get the codes read at your local parts house if you can get it there, or better if you have a buddy with a scan tool to do it.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

What car? You say 2001 in the post but 2003 in your signature.

2001 Accord both 4-cyl and V-6 have timing belt (you said 2001 in the first line of your post).

Starting in 2003 (your signature) the new-design K24 4-cylinder engine has a chain instead of a belt.

Finally, if something happened to the timing belt, I've never EVER heard of it happenning then being OK, then bad, then OK.

The awful rattling sound can't be good. Can you pinpoint the location of the sound?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:00 PM

I'm sorry all. It was a typo, it is a 2003 as the signature says. I mistakenly put 2001 in my post. Thank you.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:03 PM

@Dr. Drivability, yes the check engine light is on. Does getting the codes read cost?

@JimBlake; I should have said chain instaed of belt. the location of rattling comes directly from left side of engine (from my untrained eye, below where the belt is)

Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

parts stores will usually read the codes for free...but after thinking about this and the noise. it sounds timing chain related and i'm willing to be a large lunch at a drive-up window the codes will be either cam or crank sensor or both. bet the tensioner for the chain has given up.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Autozone/advanced auto or any other store like those will read the code for free. That is always the best place to start.

Does the radio happen at the same time as the engine losing power?

Happened to be stationed at Ft. Bragg?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM

@Dr. Drivabiilty, First; humorous response made me smile, so thanks for that. I'll look at a parts store

@live2rice, I thought about autozone so I will head there. I did Pathfinder and Airborne/Air Assault there, but was never stationed there. I was at Ft. Drum for 12 years before I got PCS'd to VA where I currently am

Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

12 years at drum? I feel for you.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Try to rule out external stuff like rattling bearings in idler pulleys, waterpump, stuff like that. But the location sounds like it could be the timing chain. There's a way to remove a small cover & look at how much the chain-tensioner is extended, but I don't remember the details (daughter used to have a 2003).

Quick Reply: Possible timing belt issue