General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door, Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Default Power Door, Help please!

I have this sudden problem with my power door unlocking or locking using the keyless entry. I am able to unlock it manually. When I try using the keys to unlock/lock automatically, I hear a clicking noise. That's about it. However, I am able to unlock the trunk. Weird. Any suggestions?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

What year is your car?

Sedan or coupe?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
What year is your car?

Sedan or coupe?
It's a Coupe, 2003, LX

Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Does the power door lock function properly with the individual door lock switches (lock and unlock)? -- Trying to get some more info.

If the driver's side door lock actuator is bad, it can cause issue with locking the passenger door, etc. Try manually locking the driver's door and then using the keyless entry to unlock the doors.

For a coupe, although less common, it is not unheard of that both door lock actuators are bad.

Otherwise if not the door lock actuators, issue can be either:
  • driver's door multiplex control unit (MCU), built into the driver's door master switch
  • or the under-dash MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit), which is part of the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box.
The MICU controls the lock and unlock functions.

Although the driver’s door MCU cannot be ruled out, it usually is a problem with the under-dash MICU. That MICU is integrated into the fuse box. If it required replacement, the entire interior fuse box on the driver side is replaced. Only two bolts hold the fuse box in (one bolt at the bottom and one bolt at the top left of the fuse box). You have to transfer the relays and fuses to the new one. Honda does not recommend using pliers to remove the relays, as you can damage the relays that way.

You can try a battery cable reset (to reset the multiplex control system) by disconnecting the negative and positive cables and connecting them together with a jumper wire for 15 minutes. -- Do not touch the battery terminals.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Does the power door lock function properly with the individual door lock switches (lock and unlock)? -- Trying to get some more info.

If the driver's side door lock actuator is bad, it can cause issue with locking the passenger door, etc. Try manually locking the driver's door and then using the keyless entry to unlock the doors.

For a coupe, although less common, it is not unheard of that both door lock actuators are bad.

Otherwise if not the door lock actuators, issue can be either:
  • driver's door multiplex control unit (MCU), built into the driver's door master switch
  • or the under-dash MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit), which is part of the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box.
The MICU controls the lock and unlock functions.

Although the driver’s door MCU cannot be ruled out, it usually is a problem with the under-dash MICU. That MICU is integrated into the fuse box. If it required replacement, the entire interior fuse box on the driver side is replaced. Only two bolts hold the fuse box in (one bolt at the bottom and one bolt at the top left of the fuse box). You have to transfer the relays and fuses to the new one. Honda does not recommend using pliers to remove the relays, as you can damage the relays that way.

You can try a battery cable reset (to reset the multiplex control system) by disconnecting the negative and positive cables and connecting them together with a jumper wire for 15 minutes. -- Do not touch the battery terminals.

Okay, so far, I can lock both doors manually. However, I am not able to lock or unlock the driver's door with the power locks --only the passenger's side.

Everytime I try unlock or locking the doors with the keyless entry or power locks, I hear I clicking sound coming from the driver's side. In addition, when I got into the driver's door panel, the motor moves, but it doesn't trigger the lock pins to pop up or down.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

It may be a faulty driver's door actuator, since you're able to lock and unlock the driver's door manually.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:35 PM

It may be a faulty driver's door actuator, since you're able to lock and unlock the driver's door manually.
Is there a way to fix the actuator temporarily without having to replace it?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

The actuator is basically a motor with some gears inside. It could be worn motor brushes, stripped gear tooth, etc. Not much you can do to make it work, unless you're willing to take out the actuator and check the motor, etc. and replace motor inside if it was bad.

Since you're able to manually lock and unlock the doors, I would recommend to just wait until you are able to replace the actuator and see where it goes from there. The latch may or may not be an issue. Sounds more like the actuator.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:45 PM

The actuator is basically a motor with some gears inside. It could be worn motor brushes, stripped gear tooth, etc. Not much you can do to make it work, unless you're willing to take out the actuator and check the motor, etc. and replace motor inside if it was bad.

Since you're able to manually lock and unlock the doors, I would recommend to just wait until you are able to replace the actuator and see where it goes from there. The latch may or may not be an issue. Sounds more like the actuator.
You've been awesome. Thanks!