General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power loss upon breaking

Old 02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Default Power loss upon breaking

It's more tha 3 months now regarding my 1995 Honda Accord 2.2L 4 cyl wherein it's loosing power upon breaking on stop light and pedestrian, that problem was solve thru this forum. Now that problem is somewhat coming back especially when less than 1/4 gasoline is in my tank, breaking at 60 -80 kph on stop light / pedestrian the car stalls (zero rpm), is this normal? But more than 1/4 of fuel in it will not stalls, what seems o be the problem? Thanks

Old 02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Try setting your base idle - or was that what you did 3 months ago?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 PM

I read your original post from last year and I see that the problem started right after you had some electronics added including an alarm system. you never said what the solution to that problem was.

When I read the conditions it reminded me of what my remote starter does when I hit the brake before I turn the key. It kills the motor. I believe it cuts off the power that the remote starter supplied to the ignition as if the key had been turned.

I wonder if your problem is something similar. Maybe the alarm system is acting up and disabling the ignition so the car cannot be stolen. I find it strange about the amount of gas unless this is directly related to the force you press on the brake or even the way the car leans forward. I wonder if having an almost empty tank and a few adults in the back so that you have a similar weight distribution would keep the car from stalling.

I also liked the idea of the test light on the fuel pump to determine if you are loosing power at the pump or maybe the root cause is somewhere else.

it sounds crazy, but I thought I would throw out an idea or two for the experts to think about.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Thanks, actually 3 months ago the fuel pump, MFR were change. I sounds crazy but to add on my experience, less than 1/4 of fuel, I could not start my car at downward position it seems that it runs out of gas. That is why I need to fill it up more than 1/4 of gasoline before I can park backward on our garage..Strange or there is some explantion to it or maybe the fuel pickup is at/near the rear of the tank?
That is why this is happening, like breaking at high speed that the remaing fuel leans towards the front of the tank that leave the fuel pick up empty?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Actually it was sent to an expect car electrician to work it up and I was told that the car alarm system has nothing to do with it and everything is perfect except ofcourse my car stall upon breaking at less 1/4 gas showing on my gauge hahahaha. That is why I am trying to see and find in the web an inside view or configuration of a fuel tank of an Honda Accord 1995, wherein I suspect that the problem is somewhere there. But overall I love my accord.. Just need to fill it up at half full tank and it will give you the best ride.

Last edited by arnel9872; 02-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

The on-line parts places have a drawing "fuel tank" that doesn't show a great deal of detail for the pump.

But the bottom of the pump has a kind of tube & screen to suck fuel from the bottom of the tank. I've heard of a couple people have that get loose so it sucks air from a few inches ABOVE the bottom of the tank. Especially when the fuel sloshes forward during braking.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Thanks Jim, I will let a mechanic look into it.