General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

primary hood latch will not lock

Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Default primary hood latch will not lock

2002 accord
the primary hood latch will not engage automatically.
when i open the hood and close it, the secondary engages. the primary has a latch that is spring loaded and connects to the release handle in the car.
i have to move the latch manually to get the primary to lock. when i move it feels like there is grit binding it . but after i move it, the latch moves freely.

i cleaned it with carb cleaner and then wd-40.

still no luck.

Ideas?

thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check whether release mechanism is repositioning (spring action) after release. If not, the return spring may be broken. The spring is on the hood latch end, but mechanism has a tamper guard that may make repair difficult. You will have to release the bolts to access the mechanism.

regards

Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Check whether release mechanism is repositioning (spring action) after release. If not, the return spring may be broken. The spring is on the hood latch end, but mechanism has a tamper guard that may make repair difficult. You will have to release the bolts to access the mechanism.

regards
the spring is not broken. if i am calling it correctly, the latch is not repositioning after release. if i move it manually, it does not feel smooth. but the hood will close. but after i reposition it the first time i can move it back and forth without resistance.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Sometimes corrosion can bind the cable in the sleeve preventing proper release/actuation. You may need a new actuation cable/sleeve. If you can reach the end of the sleeve you might try injecting some light lubrication down the sleeve and work the wire to loosen.

good luck

Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Sometimes corrosion can bind the cable in the sleeve preventing proper release/actuation. You may need a new actuation cable/sleeve. If you can reach the end of the sleeve you might try injecting some light lubrication down the sleeve and work the wire to loosen.

good luck

it is defininately the cable and has to be replaced.

any instructions/ diagrams on how to replace the cable? picking a new one up at honda this week.

thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

You can download a 98-02 shop manual from the online manuals thread in the DIY section. It is an iso file, so burn it to a CD. It covers UK accords, but it should give you a good idea of how to change it out.

You will have to likely pull up the carpet on the driver's side to route the cable. Not sure exactly how it is routed to the trunk.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 PM

i have run into the same problem. its freezing here so i think the spring on the latch was frozen and just snapped in half. i was looking for the repair manual you mentioned above but i could not find it on the site.

could you send me a link? maybe im just being stupid...

Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

copy and paste the link below into your browser to download

megaupload.com/?d=MCQ4825J

Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM

hey thanks a lot. i really appreciate the help

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
copy and paste the link below into your browser to download

megaupload.com/?d=MCQ4825J
PA, any recommendations on CD burner to burn this file? I only have Windows Media Player, and it won't recognize the ISO extension. I looked online, but got showered w/ lots of "free offers" to add unwanted programs to my PC.

thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: primary hood latch will not lock