General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problem keeping it running

Old 09-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Unhappy Problem keeping it running

I have a 99 accord 4dr ex 4cyl. I recently replaced the distributor as to correct a problem I had with the car not starting. Prior to this r/r I was having problems with the car stalling on me at speed. I mean it would just up and die even on the freeway. I would pull over and turn the key a few times and have it fire up.

Now that I changed the distributor, not only does it die, but now it misses like crazy. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

For missing, check your spark plug wire routing. I suspect you have misaligned some leads. Also check your distributor rotor and cap for cracks or defects.

Engine stoppage while driving could be ignition keyswitch assy. Notice whether instrument panel lights; Alt, Check Engine, etc come on (they should) or stay off. If they stay off, the ignition switch is faulty, opening up, and kiling the engine through loss of ignition power from keyswitch assy.

If instrument panel lights come on when engine stoppage occurs, loss of fuel pressure is most likely explanation. Usually this is a Main Fuel Relay (MFR) failure. When stoppage occurs turn keyswitch from Off to ON and listen carefully. You should hear a couple of soft clicks from MFR under the dash and about 2 secs of soft buzzing from fuel pump in fuel tank. If you hear nothing, MFR is very likely, but could be an intermittent fuel pump.

good luck