General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A problem with my headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Default A problem with my headlights...

Hello everyone... I own a 1992 Accord EX. I picked it up for $300 with 375,000KMs... I sold my 87' IROC last week. This only has to last me the winter. Anywho, there's nothing too major wrong except the headlights... as soon as you put a 20fuse into the left headlight it blows. The headlights/highbeams don't come on at all. That's where I'm at. Is it more likely for the short to be at one of the ends rather then in the middle of the wires? I have no clue where to start and I know it would be costly to get it done at a shop. Could I rewire it easily? Thanks!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Does the fuse blow even if the headlight switch inside of the car is turned off?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Ive gotta walk to canadian tire to pick up more fuses... I'll report back later on that. But shouldn't the right headlight turn on or are they wired together per say?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 PM

I just used the fuse from the right light. Its fine on the first light setting but the second setting it blows. I do have an ohmmeter if that helps

Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug the left (driver's) side headlight and high beam. Also remove the dimmer relay in the engine bay fuse box. The non-black wire on both bulb sockets should be open (infinite resistance) to ground (use a valve cover bolt).

Also inspect the wiring that is exposed near the headlight. I recently noticed that my car's headlight socket was spliced together after owning my car for 11 years.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yamban
... I do have an ohmmeter if that helps
So use the ohmmeter to measure resistance to ground instead of blowing 35 more fuses. That's what you bought the meter for, right?

Unplug sections of the circuit until you get to a point where it's NOT shorted to ground. That's how you locate the short so you can fix it.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 PM

I will do some tests tomorrow... the meter seems to be at my father house.

Im pretty sure my lowbeam bulbs need replacing so if I do that, is there a chance of them working or would the short in the highbeams disable them?

Here's some pictures of what I'm working with...

On the right side (passenger side) there's the obvious highbeam light and then a broken plug that barely reaches where its at now. Is that the lowbeam plug?

and the left side I have 3 plugs... the obvious highbeams (which runs infront of the rad and around the battery) and then 2 more. What is the white plug for?

Last edited by yamban; 10-07-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

That blue plug is the low beam on the passenger side. The low beam plug should reach without too much effort. You might want to remove the battery and check that the wire harness is routed properly. Check that it is not pinched somehow? While you have the battery removed, clean the terminals and ends of the battery cables to remove the corrosion.

I am not sure what the white plug is for on the driver's side.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Ok cool thanks... and assuming my lowbeam bulbs were shot from the start if I replaced them is there a chance of the lowbeams working? As long as I don't turn on the highbeams triggering the short?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Wait, so only turning on the high beams causes the fuse to blow? Just turning the headlights on keeps the fuse intact?

Quick Reply: A problem with my headlights...