General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this problem my hub assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Default Is this problem my hub assembly?

I've had a steering wheel wobble lately that I may have discovered the problem. I had the front of my car up and noticed the front wheels (both of them) when the lugs are tight, has some big time play in it. both back and forth and in a twisty motion.

I called around and the prices for the hub assembly are not bad, but I don't know if this is something I can do myself? If the hub assembly is replaced, I assume the part that I will not be able to do is press on the rotors correct? My honda dealer is an hour away, are they the only ones that can do it?

I've looked on here to find a tutorial of the hub assembly replacement (pics are a big plus for my simple mind but cannot locate it. Does anyone have any feedback on if it could be anything else besides the hub assembly, and any direction or links for the process?

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Put the year, EX, LX, cylinders, and transmission in your signature so we don't have to guess.

If there is motion in the 9 and 3 o'clock direction, I would look for play in the tie-rod (possibly inner and/or outer). Listen for noises coming from the tie-rod as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM

crap, sorry. I even told myself as I was typing to make sure and do that and I flippin forgot.

1997 Honda Accord SE 4 Cylinder Automatic. 4 Door. Tan. Interior in good condition but smells like methane and coffee. 205,000 miles. Original Hub Assembly if that matters.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Put the year, EX, LX, cylinders, and transmission in your signature so we don't have to guess.

If there is motion in the 9 and 3 o'clock direction, I would look for play in the tie-rod (possibly inner and/or outer). Listen for noises coming from the tie-rod as well.
OK, I will check the 9 and 3 positions.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 PM

I don't notice anything special about the 9 and 3 positions, it's loose all over so it's kinda hard to tell.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Try shaking at 3/9 then at 12/6 o'clock. The tire should not move at all once the steering wheel is locked.

If it moves after the steering wheel is locked, look for movement in the upper and lower ball joints along with the tie-rod end.

I had to replace my outer ones this weekend, and it was pretty obvious that there was movement at the end.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Have someone hold the steering wheel through the open window. Sometimes the motion that the steering-wheel lock allows is enough to make it tough to tell what's what.

If you find some play, then feel the ball joints and/or tie rods or whatever, to identify where the looseness is located.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM

I have a 95. The front rotors (hub assembly) are not easy to get off, unlike many cars - where you take off the wheel and the caliper, and they come off. the LX requires some tools and knowledge. There are "hammer mechanics" that can do the job, but literally they beat it to death. I had mine done at the dealer...because they were making noise, a wheel bearing grumble that got worse around corners. Are you getting any noise? With that amount of play, you may be unsafe.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

chk the ball joints as well upper and lower

Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM

Here is a short video clip of me moving the hub around with the steering wheel locked out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetJw0XkzVs

I've looked at everything else and it all appears rather solid. The only thing I can see moving is the rotor. I went thru and had the steering wheel held, locked out, and both front sides do this, this side is the worst.

So what do you guys think? Hub assembly? My limited knowledge and from feedback on here says it is. If that is the case, then I'm going to want to try and replace this on my own. If I have a step by step guide then I'm sure I can do it.....if it has pictures. lol

*Yes I know there is a bolt missing, I took it out because I thought it was cracking but it wasn't and I had not put it back in when I took this video. That is NOT the problem as it did this when it was in as does the other side.*

Quick Reply: Is this problem my hub assembly?