General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problems installing SRI

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Default Problems installing SRI

Errrr. Okay, I thought I read every post on this site regarding Short Ram Intakes. I bought the AEM SRI. I tried intalling it today using the crap instructions they give (why the hell don't they provide images along with the directions).

Here are my issues:

1. I removed the orginal air filter and tube to throttle body. There is a box that is next to the air filter box near the battery(I think it might be the resonator)). it looks like it has a sensor (IAR control solenoid valve?) on it and some small (vaccum?) tubes running into it. It outlets to a larger Tube that connects to the bottom ot the main intake air tube (that connects to the throottle body). Does this box regulate the temperature or diffuese the sound of the engine (intake)? Well, in order to revmove the main intake tube I needed to detach it from the resonator box tubing. Now the resonator has a Large (almost the diametr of the main intake tub) opening that is not covered thus negating the valve to work at all as it's not connected to the newly install SRI.
What am I to do about this. Should I plug the huge opening?

2. The filter will not allow my hood to close evenly. I can;t seem to tuck the filter any further down; it looks as though it in the correct positioning. Is this right?

3. before installing is disconnected the neg terminal on the battery and pulled the ecu fuse. I disconnected the plug above the throttle body. Installed the SRI. Then plugged the battery, fuse, ECU back in. Then ran the car for about 10 minutes hopening everything will reset. Now when I drive I'm idling at 1500???? How can I fix that. I realize I'm receiving more air flow now, but how so I bring the idle down to normal

and lastly, I'm really not hearing that awsome sound everyone raves about. Somethings wrong I think

thanks in advance

Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 AM
Default RE: Problems installing SRI

hey maro, after reading your issues, first you also need to remove the whole air filter assembly including the box where the filter is sitting in, the small box beside your battery is your IAR (i forgot what its called but you could remove that also and just plug the only one vacuumhose that would be let out(that's what i did).doing all this should give you more room to put your filter in.use the bolt/screw holes that the filter box was bolted(the one close to your shock housing)on and use it for your supportbracket for your intake tube for your sri.the resonator is actually attached under your filter box but you need to remove your fender well plastic cover to remove it.its optional but i remove mine for better air flow.the only thing that you shouldbe installing after you remove all this stuff is your intake tube to your throttle body, a vacuum hose connected with your intake tube(rubber hose should have been provided by aem), bracket to hold the intake tube tight and your dry filter should be sitting where your filter box use to be..that should be it, it will sit perfectly.your car is the same year as mine so it should be good. reset your ecu too.in regard to the sound you would not notice it as much when your idling but if you ope your hood and place your ear close to the filter you will hear a sucking sound.when you drive your car the awesome sound will be heard when your rev up your engine before you shift gears.is your an automatic or manual? mine is manual and it sound cool when you rev it up to about 2500 to 3500 before shifting gears because thats when you hear it roar. about your idlind at 1500 rpm,i'm not sure why is that but if you follow my input on these you should be idling normally. good luck and hope youenjoy that load roar from your sri

Old 04-16-2007, 12:05 PM

thanks for the reply,

It's been pouring here on the east coast so I haven't been able to get under my hood. I'll sort things out when the floods subside. which fuse is the fuse to pull for a reset. under the hood on the fuse box it's says the middle 20 fuse is the one. But I've read the 7.5 radio is the one too. Maybe that's why I'm idling at 1500. Maybe I should also check how tight those brackets are to the tubs. Perhaps it's leaking and that's why I'm not really heaing the "cool" sound. Also, I'll check to see if there is more room to play with under the hood for the filter.

thanks

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 PM

your welcome, the fuse for the radio is the one i pull out when i reset or just disconnect the neg.side of the battery. hope the weather there settles down for everyones sake. good luck man..

Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 PM

Success!!!!!! I finally pulled out the IAR part and reset my ecu properly. My idle evened out afted the 10 minute run upon installing the SRI. I will say that the sound isn't as loud as I expected, but I'm actually happy for that. I'm getting kinda old to be flauntin my ride with loud noise. However I did notice a bit more pick me up on the engine.

thanks again!!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 PM

glad you got it installed! that is one of the nicest things about a SRI.... improved throttle response...

Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM

great job maro![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sweet. Another convert to the SRI-temple.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 PM

is the intake supposed to be really loud 4500-5000k? Mine is and I just disconnected the sensor and no CEL. so i guess im okay. Right?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just about. Higher RPMS require more air....and with the improved airflow, it roars (or purrs) with affection.