General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems mounting yakima q towers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Question problems mounting yakima q towers

Hi, I've got a '96 sedan that I'm trying to mount Yakima Q towers to. They were on my 91 Civic. I got the Q63 and Q64 clips and trying to follow the measurements from Yakima, but the clips slide inside the door and the pads aren't even tight on the top. Had no issues with the Civic sedan being tight, but it was a flatter roof/door system. Tried to adjust with different measurements than Yakima had and got the front tighter with 6" between pad and windshield instead of 4, but still not great, and the back? No go. My dad is good with this stuff and he can't figure it out, either.

Any tricks or am I missing something? Appreciate feedback since it's nearing kayak season! Thanks!!!

Cat

Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

1. Have you seen this install video?

2. You probably already seen the attached fit image.

Attached Thumbnails problems mounting yakima q towers-fit-lookup.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 03:14 PM

Yep, watched the video and the one from Yakima. I installed the rack on my old Civic so with the correct Q clips and measurement instructions I don't know what is going wrong. Going by their measurements the clips don't hold and the tower pads don't even have pressure on them. I have to wait until tomorrow to try again. Just wondering if there was something odd I need to know about since this is a rounder roof than the 91 Civic.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Reposition the towers inboard or outboard on the crossbars to improve the alignment of the clips? I don't have Q-towers but had to do that on the older 1C-SST towers. That wasn't a real obvious solution until I tried it.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM

Well I feel silly but I discovered that the problem was the pads at the base of the towers. I was trying to use the ones that were on my Civic. I didn't know they were different. Clips, yes. Now I know...learn something new every day! So I was able to get them on and fit (not without a lot of measuring, adjusting, and cursing). ;-) It's easier with a partner, but I had to do it myself today. So if anyone else is new to racks and has this issue, maybe they will learn as well. I'm always a good example!

Cat

PS I'd post a pic but photobucket is not working for me right now.