General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with my accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:01 AM
bubbershrimp
Unregistered
Default Problems with my accord

Hey guys, Im new to the boards and I am having an issue with my accord, its a 1992. I have had a few occasions where it wouldnt fire up at all when I try to start it, but after 10 or so tries it starts up. Then yesterday, out of no where it dies on the freeway. I pulled over to the side, and after 10-15 tries is starts up and ran fine. It did that 3 seperate times on my drive home. When it dies, it doesnt slowly sputter out, it smoothly just goes off instantly. While it dies, all of my electrical components work fine (radio,lights,blinkers). So anyone have any ideas what could be causing my problem? One of my sensors, fuel filter, fuel pump?

Old 10-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Problems with my accord

First step is to try to determine whether fuel supply or ignition is the source of your problem.

When no-start or difficult start condition arises, could you use a timing light hooked to one spark plug lead and check for flashes while cranking the engine. No flashes means no spark. If you have flashes, spark is good and fuel supply is suspect. This is easiest way to begin to solve your problem.

Post back your findings and someone can help.

good luck

Old 10-09-2008, 11:07 AM
bubbershrimp
Unregistered

UPDATE - Main relay replaced, still same problem. Any other input or suggestions?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 AM

Sounds like its fuel related, swap out the fuel filter first then look at the fuel pump if that doesnt help.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 PM

i had this problem in my 96 lx i replaced my main relay first but my car still wouldnt start so we traced the problem to the fuel pump and after i replaced it with a new one it didnt start working till i put a new ecu in it and i havnt had a problem since. i think unless u find some other problem with it u should go to the ecu first because i tested the factory pump and it turned on but my ecu wouldnt turn it on in the car

Old 10-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest changing the maintenance items first (spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor) if they are due soon.

You should diagnose the problem first. A car will not start due to lack of spark or lack of fuel.

Using a timing light (when the car isn't starting) will verify if you are getting spark to the plugs. If you have no spark, then we can give you more detailed instructions.

Also when the car isn't starting, listen for the fuel pump to turn on for ~two seconds when you turn the key to the II position. It is a faint whirling sound coming from the back seat.

I never throw parts a problem until I diagnose first.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 PM
bubbershrimp
Unregistered

The car will start no problem cold, it seems to be worse as the car gets warmer. However, if it was a fuel issue, wouldn't the car slowly sputter as it died? This is instantaneous, just like flipping a light switch. I will definitelty look into the cap,rotor,and ignition module. Any other input is appreciated