General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS pump question- need a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default PS pump question- need a new one?

92 accord lx 4 dr 2.2L 4 cyl
296,000 miles, I am the original owner
This happened friday on way home from work:
Noticed strange feel in steering - only lasted a second or two when I turned right onto the hiway.
Got home, opened hood to find my ps pump res.was spilling ps fluid fromthe red cap on top.
The fluid appears brownish and almost a faint burnt smell to it.
I've sucked out and replaced as much fluid as i can every year and only have used honda PS fluid as a PM.
always has the right level of ps fluid in it, never has leaked a drop in 15 years, I've never had to add, and Iuse a tube and syringe to remove and add new each fall.
Belt does not slip, PS pump is quiet, makes no sounds, pully spins as belt runs.
PS still funtions on car. no leaks in any hoses.
the only ps fluid leaking is foaming and coming out the top of the res. since the cap is not an airtight seal.
New pump time? Looks to be a pretty simple change out.
Any advice on new or reman, or where to get one?
And since I'm probably going to replace the PS pump, I may do the original nippo denso alt. as well since it is original to the car as well.
any advice on both of these changes?
Thank you in advance.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: PS pump question- need a new one?

I would think you have a leak on the suction hose or fittings to the pump that is allowing air to be pulled in along w/ PS fluids from the reservoir. This air-fluid mixture would foam in the pump, affect PS performance, and add to total volume causing the reservoir overflow spill.

good luck

Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: PS pump question- need a new one?

Before you get a new pump, check the reservoir & suction lineto rule them out.

Down low in the reservoir there's a fine mesh screen, usually submerged in fluid. (At least it's there on later years...) If that screen is plugged up with crud, it can starve the pump of fluid, leading to the foam. I'd drain the reservoir, remove it, clean the screen & try again.

Also check the low-pressure hose from bottom of reservoir to pump. Cracks in that hose, or bad-fitting connection at the pump can suck air too.