General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about anti-freeze...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Default question about anti-freeze...

question, is it supposed to feel greasy???

2nd question, why does it seem my overflow bottle is almost full?? should it reverse and go back into rad???

can some please explain, thanks!

Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

It's normal to feel greasy. It's a heavy alcohol, kinda slippery.

Here's how the overflow bottle is supposed to work:
1. As the engine heats up, the coolant expands.
2. Radiator cap releases a bit of coolant over to the reservoir bottle.
3. When engine cools off, it sucks coolant back from the reservoir bottle.

Now, do you have any reason to suspect your headgasket? A blown headgasket puts combustion gas into the cooling system. That displaces coolant over to the reservoir bottle, but the combustion gas doesn't collapse so it doesn't suck coolant back when it cools down. You end up with "air" in your cooling system while the coolant reservoir bottle is overflowing. You can test for combustion gas dissolved in the antifreeze, there's test kits for that where the test liquid turns colors.

Another thing is a bad radiator cap. It releases too much coolant over to the reservoir bottle, allowing coolant to boil in the engine.

Another thing is a bad hose from the cap over to the reservoir bottle. That hose can't leak, because then the radiator sucks air back instead of sucking coolant back in. Like drinking through a straw with a hole in it. You end up with air in the radiator (not combustion-gas), overflowing reservoir, & the test for combustion-gas shows nothing.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Default head gasket??

The car doesn't over heat, well it does but..........it takes a real long time....if a headgasket is blown, won't it over heat fast??? i can let the car idle for an hour and it's fine......... and i'm not losing coolant anywhere, unless it's boiling and dissipating....

so, i can get this rad hose anywhere, yes? i'm on my 3rd rad cap....

Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Administrator
Talking

Originally Posted by aloha_bruddah
The car doesn't over heat, well it does but..........it takes a real long time....if a headgasket is blown, won't it over heat fast??? i can let the car idle for an hour and it's fine......... and i'm not losing coolant anywhere, unless it's boiling and dissipating....

so, i can get this rad hose anywhere, yes? i'm on my 3rd rad cap....
Hose located in most any parts store..