General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Question about gear oil

Hello, I have a question about gear oil for my 2003 Honda Accord EX 2.4 5 speed manual. I have been trying to find out what type of gear oil to use. I know it probably takes special oil because its a Honda. I cant find it anywhere except the dealer which is my last option. The guy at O'Reillys told me that I could use royal purple 5-30. I'm just looking for some opinions on here before I put this stuff into my car and possibly tear it up. Thanks

Old 12-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Honda shop manual does not provide a generic specification only "Honda MTF". Hopefully someone knows fluid spec. You should be able to find Honda MTF on Amazon or Ebay at reasonable prices.

good luck

Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Per the Redline Oil web site, a 2003 Accord EX 5-Speed uses 75W80 GL-4 gear oil.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the quick input.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:56 AM

Yes redline is good. In Honda manuals I prefer to use one quart of BG SyncroShift II and one quart of Honda manual transmission fluid.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

I've unfortunately never owned a Honda with a manual transmission, however, I've used Redline gear oil in my BMWs and Mazdas, and I swear by the stuff; shifts are smoother and there is no comparison when the temperature heads south of zero.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Yes on the M3's and the Miata's the redline is the way to go but we have been running the 50/50 blend including the BG ScycroShift in Hondas, Yota's and Subaru's with man transmissions for the last 15 years. BG is the way to go IMO.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:54 PM

It's not critical like the auto, so don't lose sleep with what ever you use.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:00 PM

What Corvair states is true if the transmission shifts fine and has had regular fluid changes, but, if the synchros are a little worn/not engaging properly then a synchro additive is recommended. Thus my recommendation above. Otherwise run the 5w30 in it and if it shifts fine then don't worry bat it. Honda manual transmission are all low friction transmissions thus the 5w30 oil rating. If you live in a warmer climate where the temperature does not drop below freezing then you can even use a 10w30 or w40, although I don't recommend it.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
What Corvair states is true if the transmission shifts fine and has had regular fluid changes, but, if the synchros are a little worn/not engaging properly then a synchro additive is recommended. Thus my recommendation above. Otherwise run the 5w30 in it and if it shifts fine then don't worry bat it. Honda manual transmission are all low friction transmissions thus the 5w30 oil rating. If you live in a warmer climate where the temperature does not drop below freezing then you can even use a 10w30 or w40, although I don't recommend it.
I have owned the car for about a year and I have never changed it. I am not aware if the previous owner has ever changed it. I like to keep up on maintenance on my vehicles that is why I want to go ahead and change it and make sure that I am putting the right stuff in there. Thanks

Quick Reply: Question about gear oil