General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question about hoses...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Default Question about hoses...

I was going to post a picture, but i'll just ask, i'm sure you all will know where i'm talking about. I have a 93 accord ex coupe. The stealership wants to charge me $600 to replace all the hoses in it, since i split one right under the egr valve and leaked all of my AF out. My question is, if i take out the air filter assembly, i can get to all of those hoses pretty easily. These are all the hoses behind and to the left, if you are looking from the front of the car to the rear of the engine right behind all 4 spark plugs. The upper and lower radiator hoses are fine..... 2 questions, should i order the OEM hoses or can i use that generic roll of hose and cut to fit. and which are vacuum hoses and which actually carry antifreeze, or should i just trial and error, hahahaha? Thanks in advance for any help...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information
select WATER HOSES for the category

To me, it looks like there's a few where you can use straight hose. Anything with a sharp kink or tight fit (more than half of em) you should probably get fitted hoses.

Some of those hoses are probably not on the HOT side of the system, so maybe you don't have to replace them all. OTOH, the hoses are probably all 18 years old...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

To get to all of them on that side (there are more all over the car), the air filter tubing will need to be removed, makes it easier.

I would not use regular "rolled hose", some of these have to make bends and that. The dealer is an option, I peronally use Gates rubber products for belts and hoses. They offer the pre-molded hoses. Suggest new clamps as some of those spring clamps can be hard to get to and loose some tension over the years.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-20-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added info-and spelling now
Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM

$600?!? they must be crazy. glad you came here so you can do it yourself. like JimBlake and poorman212 said some hoses you may need to use fitted ones but when i replaced my upper and lower radiator hoses i got them from Advance maybe $14-18 for each. when putting hoses back on it helps to have some silicone spray. makes the hoses slide back on easier. also poorman is totally right about the spring clamps. i had to fight those when replacing the radiator to put new fittings into the end of my transmission lines. i didn't think i was ever going to get those off and then back on.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Default thanks!

Thank you everyone for your replies, i went to the site you recommended and printed out the picture, all of those hoses on there need to be replaced? i think i counted 13? they all carry water? wow....once i remove the air filter and tubing, should be a piece of cake?

Originally Posted by JimBlake
hondaautomotiveparts dot com
click PARTS
put in your car's information
select WATER HOSES for the category

To me, it looks like there's a few where you can use straight hose. Anything with a sharp kink or tight fit (more than half of em) you should probably get fitted hoses.

Some of those hoses are probably not on the HOT side of the system, so maybe you don't have to replace them all. OTOH, the hoses are probably all 18 years old...

Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

No, I'm not saying they ALL need to be replaced. But they all DO carry water. Some of 'em are a PITA to reach & remove between the intake manifold & engine. I've never tried to do a wholesale replacement of EVERYTHING.

Last time I wanted to do that, it was on a '89 Saab. Some guy who knows them very well helped me out by listing which hoses occasionally go bad and which hoses actually do last forever. I'm not that guy for 93 Accord...

Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Did you split one of the lines that goes from the transmission to the radiator?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:00 PM

ok, i'll beat on it, see what damage i can do......

Old 09-22-2011, 03:11 PM

no it split right below the egr valve.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Adding on here to get some reader base: I have a "show car" ('96 EX V6). I want to put on red silicone radiator hoses. (Samco type) Problem: Can't find ANYone to supply such hoses for a V6. Can anyone help? How about threading a wire coil inside to prevent collapse and try to force a straight piece to fit?