General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question about low budget timing service.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Yangster
Unregistered
Default Question about low budget timing service.

I understand that when you replace the timing belt, normally you'd replace a lot of parts just because you paid for the labor already, such as water pump, cam/crank seals, etc, for a total of around $400-$550 price. I'm under a pretty low budget right now however, and I want to replace the timing belt because it could possibly cost tons of damage if it breaks, and I found a deal for just timing belt service for $129, which I can afford. My main question is: what parts are on the way TO the timing belt requiring no extra labor cost that I can just pay for parts for? And I'm not looking to have my car run perfectly, just so it won't break down when I'm driving. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Question about low budget timing service.

Sure it is possible to just change the T-belt. As long as you understand that you have the risk of oil seals leaking. Your car is also supposed to have a counterbalance shaft seal retainer.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would not waste your time by going cheap....it will bite you in the rear

Old 09-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Thundercat
Unregistered

Changing the Water pump should not cost additional labor, it is pretty much there, so i suspect that you will just pay for the part. Either way you can talk to the shop that is doing it for u to let u know what they can do once it is opened to replace the belt.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

The external drive belts (alternator, etc) have to be removed first before you can replace the timing belts. Those should LITERALLY have no extra cost.

I replaced timing belt on my Integra but didn't do the water pump. Within a year I needed a water pump. I did the work myself so it wasn't lots of money, but it was a pain & a day away from my family & other hobbies. Still, I couldn't blame anyone but myself because I made the decision to NOT replace the pump.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

as suggested by other members i also would advice you to replace the water pump...
a new belt will have more tension on the water pump and within a few months it will start making noise and or come apart and leak,,
and by the way if the water pump comes aprt ,it is the same thing as the timing belt braking cause t-belt will jump timing , car will die .. t-belt wraps around the water pump toothed pulley