Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sound System On a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Default Sound System On a Budget

I want to upgrade the sound system in my Accord. It is stock right now. I was thinking in buying 2 6x9 3 way speakers and an amp. I also went to get speakers for the front doors if my budget allows. I have a budget of $350. Can you guys give me some combinations of amps and speaker that will meet my budget? Thanks alot. BTW I listen to a lot of Punjabi music(type of Indian music). It has a lot of bass and crisp smaller instruments. I'm really not to familiar with the car audio brands either. I will also be using one of the aux ports for an ipod adaptor.
I don't want go get subwoofers either as I need all the space in my trunk.

Here is a combination I found I put together:

Pioneer 400W Amp with built in crossover
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650466527

Alpine Type S 6x9 3 way speakers
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Default RE: Sound System On a Budget

ok stuff, but i would recommend ebay to buy them from. AMP: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...spagenameZWDVW

:Speakers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpin...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think you're better off getting a head unit for about $150 and speakers for the other $200. Get speakers that want 5-50 Watts RMS so you can amp them later if you want to, but don't need to.

I'd recommend the JVC-HDR1 head unit and Polk db low wattage version speakers. The JVC has a control unit that you can buy later for the iPod (~$100) so you can control it from the face.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I agree with Falkore.

Upgrading your headunit will already make a noticeable audio difference. However, because almost any aftermarket HU will put out more power it is easier to create distortion. Buy a headunit, then use the rest for speakers and an amp.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM

I was hoping to stay away from buying a new headunit. I really don't want to change it because I won't like the look of the dash if I put a an headunit in it and I would have to put in a new console plate. I'm not looking for mindblowing sound, just something louder and clearer than the stock system. I would rather spend a little bit more money on a better amp than get a head unit. Any recomendations?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you want clean and the OEM head unit, then you need a JL Cleansweep, amp and speakers. The stock HU maes a lot of the distortion.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Buy last year's Alpine iDA-x001...online for $269.00...use your stock speakers until you save up money for some decent coaxials...around $100 or so will give you some decent speakers that the Alpine will power just fine. Rear speakers are not worth it. Fronts are where the sound and sound stage are.
You will have a decent system that is expandabe. The Alpine will not play a cd but does handle a usb drive and an ipod at full speed. Much better than popping cd's in.
For better than average sound save up for a nice pair of component speakers for your front doors (really improves the mid range and highs are great with comps), a nice modest amp (you can get a nice amp pushing 60+ watts per channel for around $250ish) that will power you front comps off the front channels and the sub off the rear channels when bridged. Add a modest 10" sub in a sealed enclosure (around $150ish) and you will have a very nice sounding and fairly loud modest system to be quite proud of.
Take your time and build the system as you can afford it.
Do not waste you money on cheap crap. You will not be happy and just throwing your money away.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 PM

IMO, get a head unit as already mentioned. Installing yourself is VERY easy. Don't worry about the rear speakers, those are just fill (I have mine disconnected and it sounds MUCH better). The music comes from the front the way I have done rather than from the back or middle of the vehicle so its as if someone is facing you and singing towards you. I recommend upgrading the speakers in the front and getting an amp for them. Stick to 6.5" speakers which is the stock size, however, make sure speakers will fit with the depth available.