General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Question about my new accord(Upgrading sound system)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Nimrod4154
Unregistered
Default Question about my new accord(Upgrading sound system)

Hi, I recently got an 08 Accord coupe ex and the sound system is decent... but I would like to upgrade it. I know extremely little about the cars electrical system so I am not sure. Some of my friends have commented that it might be hard to find a sound system for it. I have around 1500 dollars to spend on this and I need all of the parts. My brother in law said that Best Buy has a good selection and they install for free, any comments on that?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Default RE: Question about my new accord(Upgrading sound system)

generally you can find all the connectors and such you need at somewhere like best buy or circuit city and are able to do everything yourself fairly cheaply. those stores do have installation with purchace of sound stuff, sometimes they run free installation specials on decks above a certain price.If they arent you would just have to inquire as to what they will charge for what you want put in.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I bought my head unit on eBay after doing research on crutchfield, i saved 65% easily by doing that.. I also pestered the seller into including a wiring harness for the radio.

I bought the Metra Turbo2 dash kit (not sure if it's valid for an '08, but it's for an 03-05 at least) from crutchfield as everyone else was about the same price, and they even threw in a wiring harness for the climate control (which is normally sold separately) which saved me ~$25 (1/7th of the total estimated cost)..

The install time for just my head unit and the dash kit was ~40 minutes, it was really a breeze.

I don't know much about amps and killer speakers, so I'll let others speak to that, but as for the shops doing that I've worked at both Best Buy and Circuit City during HS/College (3 stores of each brand actually) and I would NEVER NEVER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER trust them to do any work on my car...

Of course, I have a natural tendency to not trust anyone touching my car.

But I'm sure you can get a decent kit and install it yourself in a matter of hours (4-5 for a first time install and trying to find out how to remove panels if needed)

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM

as far as speakers go you cant go wrong with a good set of pioneer or blaupunkt.. both are good bang for the buck.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 AM

Yeah Blaupunkt are good, my father in law has those in his Z3... I had Clarion's in my 86 4Runner.. nicest thing about that truck! lol..

And i love anything made by pioneer!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 AM

I thought that the Metra Turbo2 dash kitlooks rather cheap, i have it and am not very satisified with it. But i do think that the 08 is different

But heres what i did
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_8..._/tm.htm#80979

Old 12-27-2007, 10:41 AM

The AC ***** where the only cheap part imo..

I merely switched out the entire **** assembly with the OEM portion, and it works fine and looks way better.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:46 PM

if you want some really nice speakers get some bostons or klipsch (sp?) speakers. great sound, and they last a long time.
a set of two speakers, two tweeters, and two crossovers is about $200.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

if you want some really nice speakers get some bostons or klipsch (sp?) speakers. great sound, and they last a long time.
a set of two speakers, two tweeters, and two crossovers is about $200.
I'll second that. Klipsch makes a KILLER silk tweeter that has some of the crispest highs you can imagine, Most of my home theater speakers are Klipsch and it's amazing. Boston Acoustics are great too.