General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Honda Forum about Crumple Zones

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Default Question for Honda Forum about Crumple Zones

Hi everyone, I have a Honda Accord question. When did the Accord first get front and rear crumple zones? The first mention of crumple zones I can find is in the 5th generation starting in 1994, but I was wondering if that was when they actually first started using them in Honda Accord cars, or just the first time it was mentioned? Did the 4th generation or even earlier generations have them too? Does anyone know ? Thanks

Old 10-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Starrose
Hi everyone, I have a Honda Accord question. When did the Accord first get front and rear crumple zones? The first mention of crumple zones I can find is in the 5th generation starting in 1994, but I was wondering if that was when they actually first started using them in Honda Accord cars, or just the first time it was mentioned? Did the 4th generation or even earlier generations have them too? Does anyone know ? Thanks
While I don't know for a fact, I'd say odds on bet the 4G Accords had crumple zones. Why would I say that? Because crumple zones are not a new concept, not even remotely; I had two cars built in the 1970s with them.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
While I don't know for a fact, I'd say odds on bet the 4G Accords had crumple zones. Why would I say that? Because crumple zones are not a new concept, not even remotely; I had two cars built in the 1970s with them.
I agree. Probably had them in the 3rd gen, but nobody really called them out as such (it was more of an insurance company standard back them). You have to remember, in the late 60's, insurance companies were the driving force behind safety, and limiting engine sizes. As a result, while it might have "crumple zones" built in, it really wasn't mentioned as a "safety feature" like it was in the 90's (to help sales). And that's the thing, Americans in the 90's started looking at safety features like crumple zones, number of air bags, traction control, and things like that. That's also when you saw manufacturers putting the info into sales brochures and in their literature (along with a booklet to go with your owners manual).
I hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:54 PM

That is interesting I did not know that , but it also mentions that in 1994 not only did they have front and rear crumple zones, they also had reinforced side impact beams. Would that have been in the older car's type of crumple zones too or were the 1994 designs something different?

Old 10-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I agree. Probably had them in the 3rd gen, but nobody really called them out as such (it was more of an insurance company standard back them). You have to remember, in the late 60's, insurance companies were the driving force behind safety, and limiting engine sizes. As a result, while it might have "crumple zones" built in, it really wasn't mentioned as a "safety feature" like it was in the 90's (to help sales). And that's the thing, Americans in the 90's started looking at safety features like crumple zones, number of air bags, traction control, and things like that. That's also when you saw manufacturers putting the info into sales brochures and in their literature (along with a booklet to go with your owners manual).
I hope this helps.
But I thought that crumple zones always necessitated other major changes in the structure of the vehicle, because they allow for the car to crumple that means the interior needs added protection by strengthening of sides and metal beams. I assumed the 1994 5th generation included major additional changes like that but did the earlier generations too ?

I am glad insurance companies helped make our cars safer for us . Although strangely enough I did read in an article once that seat belts go a long way towards protecting drivers much more than airbags, and the article went on to say that if we all wore the 5 point seat belt harnesses that they do in racing it would be much better protection then we have now.

Last edited by Starrose; 10-03-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

That is interesting I did not know that , but it also mentions that in 1994 not only did they have front and rear crumple zones, they also had reinforced side impact beams. Would that have been in the older car's type of crumple zones too or were the 1994 designs something different?
My 1975 Pontiac LeMans had side impact beams.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:40 AM

My 1975 Pontiac LeMans had side impact beams.
As did my 73 Chevy Vega, and my 70 Camaro. Door beams came out in the very early 70's (part of the safety mandates).
You might not know this but front wheel drive cars use the engine/trans as part of the crumple zone, as it gets pushed against the firewall in a head on accident. It's designed like that to spread out the impact, increasing your chances of survival.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:48 AM

But I thought that crumple zones always necessitated other major changes in the structure of the vehicle, because they allow for the car to crumple that means the interior needs added protection by strengthening of sides and metal beams. I assumed the 1994 5th generation included major additional changes like that but did the earlier generations too ?

I am glad insurance companies helped make our cars safer for us . Although strangely enough I did read in an article once that seat belts go a long way towards protecting drivers much more than airbags, and the article went on to say that if we all wore the 5 point seat belt harnesses that they do in racing it would be much better protection then we have now.
Believe it not, air bags caused more vehicles to be redesigned in the interior than anything. Crumple zones don't really require a lot of changes, and those changes are mainly to make sure nothing gets into the interior in an impact. More people died from biting the steel dash in the early days (before padded dash boards, or plastic dashes), or had serious head and neck injuries from steering columns not collapsing. Little changes like those I just mentioned did a lot for safety. And yes, seat belts save more lives than people really want to admit. Mainly because they keep you in place, and let the other things do their job (like air bags).

Old 10-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
As did my 73 Chevy Vega, and my 70 Camaro. Door beams came out in the very early 70's (part of the safety mandates).
You might not know this but front wheel drive cars use the engine/trans as part of the crumple zone, as it gets pushed against the firewall in a head on accident. It's designed like that to spread out the impact, increasing your chances of survival.
Geez, I thought I was the only idiot (nothing personal; we were probably both pretty young and not too bright when it came to cars) around here who had the misfortune to own a Vega; mine was a 1970 with the 2-Speed "Slip-and-Slide" PowerGlide automatic transmission.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:26 PM

Geez, I thought I was the only idiot (nothing personal; we were probably both pretty young and not too bright when it came to cars) around here who had the misfortune to own a Vega; mine was a 1970 with the 2-Speed "Slip-and-Slide" PowerGlide automatic transmission.
I loved that little car. My problem was getting in/out of it as I got older (lower back injury). My wife drove a 76 Pontiac Astre (the Pontiac version) with a 3 speed AT. It had a steel sleeved block in it too. Ran great and she drove that thing for almost 10 years without a lick of trouble. My 73 got an engine upgrade, as I put in a 200 CI V6 (odd fire) from a 78 Chevy Malibu, with a 4 speed trans. That thing was fun, and I daily drove it for a solid 8 years having fun with a smile on my face. I even installed a trailer hitch on it, as I occasionally pulled a little box trailer with it. I still have the trailer, sold the car about 20 years ago. Now I have a 76 Cosworth Vega sitting in the back yard. It's a fun car, but needs to be restored (paint job minimum). Trying to find some decent sized 13 inch tires for it is the hard part.

Quick Reply: Question for Honda Forum about Crumple Zones