General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on tranny and cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Default question on tranny and cost

Hey guys, I'm about to lose it here, I have a 98 accord v6 ex 172k in the two year, i did a full tune up all fluids timing belt, plugs wires, cat, struts, ac, tires, brake pad, rotors, rear calibers, brake booster and some sensors, front axles. there is more but that's off the top of my head here.

The tranny was fine then Saturday, it banged into second hard then started to slip the rest of the day and then stopped. The tranny fluid was normal and I used the honda stuff last year when i did a full flash. I drove it yesterday and it was fine. Well on my way back on the highway it lost 4th gear. the rpms where all over, full slipping going on here up hills and stuff. I call in it free reving engine, I figured the torque covered failed. I got it off the highway and then drove on the side roads to get home. I then lost 3rd gear. after that it was stuck in second and would not come out. I had to shift from L1 to L2 to get home. I made it but i figured it's done and there is no easy fix here? I figure a new tranny is like 3k or more for this thing so it's not worth it anymore. Ow and the abs pump just started to fail last week what the f*****

With all the new parts, is the car worth anything to somebody and now much could I get for it? I do not want to part parting out the car so I would just sell it as a whole. Or just donate it and get some tax **** next year?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

My advice would be to keep it and fix it; where else are you going to find as nice of a ride with as many new parts for the cost of the repairs?

As for the transmission, I routinely see these transmissions remanufactured for a couple hundred either side of $1,000, and I really don't think it will cost $2,000 for an installation.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:23 AM

guys what I described, is that the tranny itself or something line the pressureswitch failed or something? I'm not really familiar with auto trannys. The fluid is fine no metal or burnt smell at all.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Giving you a definitive answer over the internet is impossible; at this point it sounds like you need to have it professionally diagnosed.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:41 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if its the transmission itself.....6th Gen autos, especially the V6, are notoriously bad.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I would also keep it and fix it. I recently spent $2400.00 on mine, having it fully rebuilt, price reflects parts, labor and Honda fluid. I tried putting a used one in it from my local pick n pull..$350.00 down the drain.. never again,,as I swapped it myself,,Laying in the red dirt here in east texas with the fire ants and all,,,I got pics to prove it too,,lol,,good luck

Old 03-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Well my wife got her new car so shes happy. but I'm still on the edge to keep it. everybody i talk to tells me the transmissions is done. Plus I have been trying to sell it and people only want to give me like 500. I just put 350 in senors three weeks ago. if I keep it I will not do a junker tranny, 95% there s*** I here with these cars. I saw some on ebay for 1200 but not shore if I trust that. I looked on rock auto and they want 2k that's with sending you're old one back for the core. three 3 year warranty. one place told me 3k plus install for a tranny. I mean I know the car is only worth 2.5k if the tranny was fine. I guess my question is if I get a new tranny for it, will the car last? People always told me the car will last 250k with out problems, well the motor anyway.

or would putting a 5 speed into the car work and be cheaper? has it been done?

Last edited by Mikecsti; 03-23-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Putting a 5-Speed in your car is possible, kinda-sorta, but really-REALLY difficult and expensive as there was no such a thing as a V6 Accord of that generation with a manual transmission to use as a donor vehicle. Your best bet would be to buy a remanufactured unit and put it in yourself; if you buy directly from the remanufacturer you can save a significant chunk off of that ~$2,000 price tag from a store front. I have some links at home for remanufacturers which have come with good recommendations; I'll post them tonight.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 AM

Yep, I know I saw some guys putting 04 accord 6 speeds in a 98 ans 99 but it dose not look easy to do, but the car would be a lot more fun but I do not need a fun car. I have two already.

I found a place that just dose transmissions up the road from me and reviews are good. I'm going to give them a call and see what they say what it would coat to rebuild it.

Yes if you could post them up.

thanks

Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 AM

called that transmission shop. I told him what the car was doing and he said he's built a lot of these trannys, they all have a problems and it starts with banging into second gear then it clogs the ports and then it will not go into gears. He said if you let it sit and cool down then drive it, it will act fine for a couple of miles then will start again. if you keep driving it I will flow the diff out of it, but he said it sounds like I have not and it's fine, but has to look at it. But normal price is 2000 to 2500 out the door one year 10k miles warranty.

is that normal price for these?

Quick Reply: question on tranny and cost