General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on swapping heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default questions on swapping heads

I've spent hours looking online for a straight answer to a question I have regarding putting a f22a head on a f22b2 block. The reason why I'm interested in doing this is because the timing belt shredded and must have jumped on my 1997 accord lx. I replaced the timing belt and dont have any compression so that leads me to assume I bent some valves. I know I should have checked valve clearance and all that before I put the belt on and I didn't and I found out the hard way the valves are bent. I triple checked all my work and made sure the engine is timed correctly. So anyways I found a rebuilt head for $50 but its for a 91 accord. It seems like it will bolt on the f22b2 block but will I need a different exhaust manifold or valve cover or anything like that and I want to be sure it will match up to my block. I've searched all on the internet for answers to my questions and I cant seem to find clear results so I'm seeking help on this forum. I appreciate the help from your forum and I'm sorry I might come off as a "Noob" asking this question.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Job ahead is difficult enough w/o worrying about a non-standard head. Look for a head to match yours. There are plenty available w/ a search on car-part.com for < $150. Check near your zip code and pick one up.

Better option is to rebuild your own head. This will not cost much more than a used head and will provide better garuntee of performance. I rebuilt my damaged 2.5TL cylinder head in Houston for $250; replaced damaged valves, new stem seals, reseat all valves, pressure checks, and head shave for good gasket sealing.

good luck

Old 12-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well thanks for the advice much appreciated

Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

quick update. I decided to buy a rebuilt head for $200 and a gasket set for $40. I don't know if there are any good posts on how to take a head off and replace it should I maybe make a how to post?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Go for it. I don't think that we have one of those.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Supper Moderator

just saw this thread. I know you bought a head already and all. But all f22 blocks are the same. ONLY the heads are diff. swaping a f22a head on a f22bx block is as simple as taking the head off the block and bolding the new head on the block...sorry the late post

Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well I started tearing into the head to get it off. I think i got off all the sensors and hoses besides the coolant hoses the fuel lines(I figured I would save that stuff right before I pull the head). I will start the car up and pull the fuel pump hose to run the fuel out so the the fuel rail doesn't leak to bad. IDK what I'll do about the coolant hoses I guess I will let it leak out. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the exhaust manifold loose but I did get the bolts all loose. I just have to get the throttle cables off, the intake, coolant hoses, the head bolts, the power steering pump, the fuel lines, and a sensor wich I think is a tempature sensor IDK for sure though. Still waiting on the rebuilt head and gasket kit. I think I'm making good progress for spending 1 1/2 hours on it so far. I was going to do a write up and how too but I got a bit lazy sorry.