General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question on EGR Port Drill/Piping

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Default Quick Question on EGR Port Drill/Piping

I bought the kit and am going to knock this out this weekend. Is the only EGR port that needs to be drilled and a pipe inserted is on the actual upper intake? Do we just clean the bottom intake or is there something better we can do to it as well?

Any other tips to make it go smoothly.

Thanks.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:48 AM

Exactly, you are only drilling / inserting the pipe in the upper intake manifold. I just cleaned mine (funds weren't available for the kit, so I just cleaned the ports). All went very well, just take your time and everything will be good.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Thanks Brian! Anybody else got any tips? It looks pretty straight forward.

I have installed h/c/i on 5.0L mustangs before, first time working on the Honda, outside of CV Axles.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Take your time drilling. Line up the new pipe with the drill bit. Mark the bit with the length of the pipe. Then you will know when you drill through the bore and not through the other side.

Here is a video on how to remove the intake and clean the EGR port.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:14 AM

Did the EGR port fix, easy stuff.

Took me a second to figure it out, but make sure you mark the sleeve to the actual "drilling portion" of the drill bit, because the Honda piece comes with a guide before the actual "drilling portion", so you will think you drilled down deep enough, but the sleeve will stop.

Anyways, random question:

What does the sleeve need to be installed? You drill the hole out larger. My only thought is for it to provide a smooth path for the EGR gasses/junk to escape out, so there is no burs for any of it to catch on.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 PM

Why does the sleeve need to be installed? You drill the hole out larger. My only thought is for it to provide a smooth path for the EGR gasses/junk to escape out, so there is no burs for any of it to catch on.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not the engineer......could this be the metals involved?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The reason for the sleeve is to get the correct amount of EG to flow to each port. Some ports are larger than others (those furtherest away). If ports are not correctly sized, you may get the infamous EGR stumble (too much EG to one port).

In this case, the sleeve is to port the correct total amount of EG. He did not clean the individual ports, which may be why the miss codes were occurring.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 04-27-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The reason for the sleeve is to get the correct amount of EG to flow to each port. Some ports are larger than others (those furtherest away). If ports are not correctly sized, you may get the infamous EGR stumble (too much EG to one port).

In this case, the sleeve is to port the correct total amount of EG. He did not clean the individual ports, which may be why the miss codes were occurring.

good luck
I'm still not sure I follow, even though what you are saying makes sense. The drillbit (which I did this last week) enlarges the hole all the way to the "bottom". The sleeve actually shrinks the available EGR passage way, although maybe by 5% or so if I had to guess. Hard to explain I guess.

Imagine a cylinder sleeve when you are rebuilding an engine, it is to have a "fresh" wall to work from. The sleeve is the same length as the cylinder, so why do we need a sleeve to be inserted into a hole the same size for EGR gas?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

My guess would be a smoother surface where the soot would not easily stick compared to just having cast iron there.